Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing file GONE!

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
AllenJessup
1201 Views, 12 Replies

Drawing file GONE!

I've never seen this one. I havd a file open in Civil 3D. I tried to open another file and it stuck opening at 12%. After 10 minutes or so I gave up and tried to close C3D. I got the Windows program is not responding message and chose close the program.

After I had close the program the first drawing file, not he one I couldn't open, is gone of the server. I've run a search of the server and both my hard drives. It isn't there. There is a .BAK file and an .SV$ file. But NO .DWG file. Luckily the .SV$ file wasn't that old and opened fine.

This is scary. I don't know how that could have hapened. Civil shouldn't delete a file. It isn't realy that file it's altering. It's a copy in RAM and temporary file. It isn't until a save that the file is overwritten and a .BAK should be created first. I just tried to find it again because after writing this I couldn't believe it. The DWL files are there. But no drawing file.  ???

Allen

Civil 3D 2011, Version 2, Raster Design 2011
Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit

Dell Precision T7400, Xenon X5460, 3.2 GHz, 4 GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600, 768MB - Driver Version: 8.17.12.7614 (276.14)

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
antoniovinci
in reply to: AllenJessup

I do not believe that, miss Allen: period.

Please call your IT crowd: they will find that missing file, dead or alive, trust me.

Message 3 of 13
Westhills
in reply to: antoniovinci

Sounds like someone accidentially hit the delete key during your load.  I assume you checked your recyclye bin? And if you have windoes 7 there is always the previous version tool.

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 4 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: antoniovinci

Oh. I'm pretty sure that the actually data is still on the disk. It's just not accessible. IT could probably recover it if I had to push them. But I wont because I have an SV$ file from minutes before. I've already recovered that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: Westhills

I don't think hitting the delete key would erase a file just because it was open. I didn't have it highlighted in Explorer or anything. I was on a Novel server. So not recycle bin or previous version available. Actually you reminded me that I could run a Novel Salvage from here. I didn't turn up that file either.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
atwitsend74

Check to see if your .bak file is marked read only.  I know that (at least with C3D 09 and before) if it is, the save command will delete the dwg file and create a .tmp file.  It may have happened to your file before the open command failed and you didn't notice until after.

That's the only thing I've ever seen delete a drawing file.

Jason B
Office CAD Guy
Oh... and Civil Engineer

Civil 3D 2009 and 2013
(wow that was a jump)
64-bit XP
i7 w/ 8GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Message 7 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: atwitsend74

No. It's not marked read only.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
jmayo-EE

Bizarre. You sure your reseller didn't ship you the limited edition Houdini release? 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
AllenJessup

@atwitsend74 wrote:

the save command will delete the dwg file and create a .tmp file.  It may have happened to your file before the open command failed and you didn't notice until after.

That's the only thing I've ever seen delete a drawing file.

I found the .TMP files. Could it possibly have been an Autosave? Anyway. If I rename any of the .TMP files or the ones beginning with "atmp" I get a valid drawing. Luckily I could start with the .SA$ file and have been working right along.

Allen

at.PNG

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
jmayo-EE

Thanks for the handy info Jason.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
atwitsend74
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the handy info Jason.

No problem!  Especially if you use vault, and someone adds the .bak file, they tend to become marked read only.  That's one I've had to address in our office on more than one occasion.

Jason B
Office CAD Guy
Oh... and Civil Engineer

Civil 3D 2009 and 2013
(wow that was a jump)
64-bit XP
i7 w/ 8GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
Message 12 of 13
AbsKelvin

We had something similar happen when the full path to the file was very long. Unfortunately, I don't remember the specifics.

Message 13 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: AbsKelvin

The path is a little long but not huge. I believe that Jason's right about the failure happening during a save. I found the TMP files he mentioned and could have recovered the drawing from there if I'd needed to.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report