Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing a Proposed Profile

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Rainman1
586 Views, 4 Replies

Drawing a Proposed Profile

I have a profile about 750m in length. I want to raise the road approximately 0.3m. I've created my original ground profile and have offset it by 0.3m to create my proposed profile. I try drawing the proposed profile in using the "Create Profile by Layout" command but cannot get it to closely follow my proposed profile line that I have offset from the OG profile. Some points match up fine while others are way off. When I try to adjust the proposed with the grips it just makes it worse. I also want the vertical curves labelled properly. Essentially what I want to do is create a proposed profile to match as close as possible to the existing profile (offset vertically by 0.3m). Is there a way to do this to match up as close as possible? Keep in mind that I also need the proper vertical curve labelling. I've attached a screen grab of what I am trying to do (red line is OG, cyan line is proposed). Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
troma
in reply to: Rainman1

I'm interested in:

"I try drawing the proposed profile in using the "Create Profile by Layout" command but cannot get it to closely follow my proposed profile line that I have offset from the OG profile."

Why not?  What happens?

I hope you realise that there are no curves on the OG, just lots of short tangents.  You will have to figure out design curves to closely approximate the same profile.  For starters try drawing some tangents and floating curves.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 5
castled071049

Here's how I would do it. Use the Profile Creation Tools to create tangents along the proposed profile you want to follow(the cyan line). You'll have to eyeball the intersections of the tangents at first, but you can go back after the initial pass and tweak them by gripping the PIs and moving until the tangents are right on top the cyan line.

Next you'll have to create the vertical curves. There are several curves that would work. I like to use the Free Vertical Parabola (PVI Based), but there are others that will suit your purpose. Perhaps the 3-Point Fixed Curve would work. I imagine you'll have to adjust the curve parameters a couple of times to get it close.

It shouldn't be much more work than that. I would estimate 10 minutes tops. Done it many times.

As for the curve labeling, that's another story. Perhaps the HELP files would be of use...?

Message 4 of 5
Rainman1
in reply to: castled071049

Thank you for the info.. That procedure seems to work very well and after creating the proposed profile using this process, the profile labelling takes care of itself since it is labelling based on the vertical curves and tangents, not the vertices that are brought over from the original ground profile (when copied).

Message 5 of 5
Adriano_cad

Hi

After rebuilding the Profile over the existing use command Raise / Lower PVIS to raise or lower the profile.

Thanks

Adriano Oliveira
Diretor Soluções BIM MaxiCAD
MaxiCAD Soluções e Educação BIM.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

some text

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report