Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

draw lines by "sideshot" but not Civil 3D _LINE 'SS

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
george.skinner
380 Views, 6 Replies

draw lines by "sideshot" but not Civil 3D _LINE 'SS

I have a very frequent need to draw lines that radiate out from a point on different bearings and distances. I think of this as a sideshot.

_\/_

|

Civil 3D’s sideshot command acts differently. It draws lines between the radial end points.

/\

|

Do you know what command is needed to do what I want? It is not the Create Line by Side Shot command.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Can't you do Line by Bearing and have the starting point of your line be the Node of the point?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 7

I have not had success in entering bearings and distances one right after the other as I want the station point to stay the same. I have to re-start the Line by Bearing command each time, hitting return doesn't re-start this command. I have to go back up to the ribbon and drill down all over again.

In Land Desktop you could do radial sideshots, Eagle Point too. I thought I was missing something in Civil 3D.

Message 4 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: george.skinner

What is the end result that you need the radial lines to be drawn for? 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 7
george.skinner
in reply to: Jeff_M

When drawing a plat it is common to have several lot lines of different bearings and lengths radiating from the end of another lot line.

Message 6 of 7
_Hathaway

While I cant say I have had the need to do this and if I did I would simply start over each time by drawing a line by brg and dist from the main point.

That said, I do see what you mean in Civil3d with the Sideshot command and as near as I can tell there is no one command in Civil3d that would meet your expectations.

Message 7 of 7
IanMcClain

If line by bearing and distance works for you, you can simply type LINE or L to start, pick the start point and then enter 'BD to enter bearing and distance input. That is what I do instead of drilling down the menu/ribbon.

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report