Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draw in profile view - objects shift

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Westhills
2424 Views, 11 Replies

Draw in profile view - objects shift

OK so maybe a dumb question but here goes because its drving me to drink. I have created a profile. I have my surfaces, projected other surfaces onto it, looks good. So then, I want to do some simple drawing on my profile. Everything looks good in model space. Create a viewport for the profile and things(basic linework) appear in a different locaiton than where I drew them. I figure I need to project an object to make it work because they are associated. So I draw my simple arc ( arch culvert) with footings and block it. great its where i want it and its a block. Gave it the approrriate elevation when creating the block. go through the project objects and it added. Bbut now its added it in a different spot. Can someone offer me an explanation as to how I am screwing this up. PLEASE!

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Westhills
in reply to: Westhills

To add to this. I  have discovered that my arch is showing up relative to the horizontal alignment which in model space is kilometers away. Can I manually change the station? Or starting from scratch how do I draw in profile view and have it look right (drawn components in the correct location) when coming through a viewport

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 3 of 12

For plain linework, I have created a Profile View, Depth Label style that draws lines in a profile view which will stay where it should and scale vertically if you change the profile view scale.

It sounds as if your view port scale is different than the model space annotation scale. When working with civil 3d profile views ( and any other scaling civil 3d object), it best to have your model space annotation scale the same as the viewport scale that the profile will be viewed through. This way the profilev view should appear in model space the same as it does through you viewport, so where you draw in model space, should be the sam eplace that it appears in the viewport.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 4 of 12

Thanks! I went back and made sure all the model vp annontation settings were at the same scale and it worked. But it did present another issue for me. For the last 7 years I have been used to haveing a legal base file, contour/surface base file, existing infrastructure base file and a design base file. I use these as xrefs for my sheets that are all also individual files.  So then, I normally (up to now) would do all my design work in one file and xref to my sheets. Now unless I am going to keep all my viewports the same size on every sheet I can operate this way anymore. Painful!Smiley Sad

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 5 of 12

You only need to set the model space annotation scale to match the view port scale while you are drawing in the profile view, it does not need to stay that way, as far as I know given your drawing configuration. You can change the model space annotation scale to what ever you like after you are finished as long as you don't modify the profile view verticle scale or location.

The parts you have drawn may look out of place once you change the the model space annotation scale but they will be in the correct place through the viewport.

The other option is to go to the viewport, double click to get inside it and then draw on the profile view, no need to change the model space annotation scale.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 6 of 12
wfberry
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Sorry, I cannot help myself.  Annotation scale has nothing that directly affects Civil 3D objects.  It is the model scale (or drawing scale) and the viewport scale.

Bill

Message 7 of 12

Thanks, that definetly helps me!

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 8 of 12
bruce.jordan

Westhills -

By chance do you have more than one viewport in PSPACE, and if so - are all the viewport scales the same, or different?

I had the issue you indicate and was caused by more than one PSPACE viewport with different scales.

-Bruce

Message 9 of 12
Westhills
in reply to: bruce.jordan

I was looking at sveral individual sheet drawings that all xref'd a common deisgn base file. But I dont think it mattered. I have yet to put Andrews solution to the test but it seems ot make sense ot me.

"The other option is to go to the viewport, double click to get inside it and then draw on the profile view, no need to change the model space annotation scale.

You only need to set the model space annotation scale to match the view port scale while you are drawing in the profile view, it does not need to stay that way, as far as I know given your drawing configuration. You can change the model space annotation scale to what ever you like after you are finished as long as you don't modify the profile view verticle scale or location.

The parts you have drawn may look out of place once you change the the model space annotation scale but they will be in the correct place through the viewport."

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 10 of 12
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: wfberry

@wfberry wrote:

Sorry, I cannot help myself.  Annotation scale has nothing that directly affects Civil 3D objects.  It is the model scale (or drawing scale) and the viewport scale.

Bill

Although when in model space, the Scale Drop down in the bottom right that allows you change the model scale is shown as Annotation Scale when you hover over it. 

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 11 of 12
dennisdalton

Yes! This works. Thanks

Message 12 of 12

This worked great for me. I had same issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report