Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing Volume Calculations with Grading

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
MatTheDrafter
896 Views, 2 Replies

Doing Volume Calculations with Grading

I have my original surface I created with my point file and break lines.  I created a new surface and was able to determine how to create my grading at a 3:1 slope that stopped at the surface I created from the point files.  From there I went back to my Grading Groups and selected the Automatic Surface Creation.  From there I don’t know if I have to selected the Volume Base Surface and selected the surface I am grating from or if I can simply create a volume tin surface selecting the new surface and the original point surface for comparison.

How do I make sure the Volume I am getting include the volume from the grading slope?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jay_B
in reply to: MatTheDrafter

If using 2014 go to Analyze tab>Volumes Dashboard and the earthwork can be calculated here.
Basically does the same as a volume surface using an interface.
Use the surface created from automatic Surface creation compared to the EG.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 3
sboon
in reply to: MatTheDrafter

Either method will work.  If you select a volume base surface then close and reopen the Grading Group Properties dialog then you will get volumes listed on the Properties tab of the dialog.

If you create a TIN volume surface manually, or through the volume dashboard then you can get the same result, and you can change the style of that volume surface to display TIN lines or solids that show the extents of the calculated area.  Looking at how you built the design I would strongly suggest that you do this check.  The automatic surface created by the grading group may not include the rest of your design surface, so your volumes may be incorrect.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report