AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
BrutalDrafter
Message 1 of 3 (301 Views)
Accepted Solution

Doing Volume Calculations with Grading

301 Views, 2 Replies
12-30-2013 03:45 PM

I have my original surface I created with my point file and break lines.  I created a new surface and was able to determine how to create my grading at a 3:1 slope that stopped at the surface I created from the point files.  From there I went back to my Grading Groups and selected the Automatic Surface Creation.  From there I don’t know if I have to selected the Volume Base Surface and selected the surface I am grating from or if I can simply create a volume tin surface selecting the new surface and the original point surface for comparison.

How do I make sure the Volume I am getting include the volume from the grading slope?

If using 2014 go to Analyze tab>Volumes Dashboard and the earthwork can be calculated here.
Basically does the same as a volume surface using an interface.
Use the surface created from automatic Surface creation compared to the EG.

Either method will work.  If you select a volume base surface then close and reopen the Grading Group Properties dialog then you will get volumes listed on the Properties tab of the dialog.

If you create a TIN volume surface manually, or through the volume dashboard then you can get the same result, and you can change the style of that volume surface to display TIN lines or solids that show the extents of the calculated area.  Looking at how you built the design I would strongly suggest that you do this check.  The automatic surface created by the grading group may not include the rest of your design surface, so your volumes may be incorrect.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 2 of 3 (290 Views)

Re: Doing Volume Calculations with Grading

12-30-2013 03:54 PM in reply to: BrutalDrafter
If using 2014 go to Analyze tab>Volumes Dashboard and the earthwork can be calculated here.
Basically does the same as a volume surface using an interface.
Use the surface created from automatic Surface creation compared to the EG.
Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 3 of 3 (286 Views)

Re: Doing Volume Calculations with Grading

12-30-2013 03:58 PM in reply to: BrutalDrafter

Either method will work.  If you select a volume base surface then close and reopen the Grading Group Properties dialog then you will get volumes listed on the Properties tab of the dialog.

If you create a TIN volume surface manually, or through the volume dashboard then you can get the same result, and you can change the style of that volume surface to display TIN lines or solids that show the extents of the calculated area.  Looking at how you built the design I would strongly suggest that you do this check.  The automatic surface created by the grading group may not include the rest of your design surface, so your volumes may be incorrect.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.