AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Mentor
tonnot
Message 1 of 2 (174 Views)
Accepted Solution

Does "Adjacent elevations by reference" work only with parallel features ?

174 Views, 1 Replies
08-29-2013 12:33 PM

I have two feature lines. They are not parallel.

The tool "Adjacent elevations by reference" seems to work fine only when feature lines are well parallel one to another ? 

Also, it seems that C3D method works fine if  "parent" object  and "object to edit " have similar number of vertex, similiar "lenght",.... 

What is your experience ?

Thanks.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Civil 3D (2013) how much you have to improve....

I've successfully used it to edit many featurelines.  My situation was that I had an existing curb return, surveyed every two feet.  So the featureline for that curb return was composed of many short, straight segments. 

I drew a new featureline for the proposed curb return, which was usually a tangent, then an arc, then another tangent.  And it was not coincident with the existing curb return, it was offset by some distance, and that distance varied along the featureline.  So most definitely not parallel to the existing featureline.

I used the 'elevation by reference' button to set the proposed featureline elevations to match the existing featureline elevations.  I added a few extra PI's to the proposed featureline at the quarter-deltas, so it would more closely follow the existing grade. 

This worked well to model nine intersections along a 2-mile corridor.

Mentor
jeff_rivers
Message 2 of 2 (117 Views)

Re: Does "Adjacent elevations by reference" work only with parallel fe

09-05-2013 12:08 PM in reply to: tonnot

I've successfully used it to edit many featurelines.  My situation was that I had an existing curb return, surveyed every two feet.  So the featureline for that curb return was composed of many short, straight segments. 

I drew a new featureline for the proposed curb return, which was usually a tangent, then an arc, then another tangent.  And it was not coincident with the existing curb return, it was offset by some distance, and that distance varied along the featureline.  So most definitely not parallel to the existing featureline.

I used the 'elevation by reference' button to set the proposed featureline elevations to match the existing featureline elevations.  I added a few extra PI's to the proposed featureline at the quarter-deltas, so it would more closely follow the existing grade. 

This worked well to model nine intersections along a 2-mile corridor.

Win 7E 64-bit, Intel i7, 12 GB
C3D 2012
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.