Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divided survey figure back to survey database

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
d1of2
684 Views, 12 Replies

Divided survey figure back to survey database

Here is the background:

I have a survey I imported, generating the line work. The surveyor did not use the end command for the linework code and now I have one really long survey figure. I can trim the survey figure and join 3D polylines to it to create the survey figures that are needed.

Problem:

How do I get the survey figures made from one survey figure back into the survey database. I have found that one of the divided can be updated as Civil 3D sees it as the original, but the rest.... can't figure out how to get the back into the database.

thank you in advance for your help on this issue

Windows 7 64
Intel Core i7 2.0 GHz 2.0 GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX460M
Civil 3D 2012 SP2.1
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mathewkol
in reply to: d1of2

Well, if this were my project I would have adjusted the codes with Bs and Es to start and stop the lines. That way I would not have to break/trim them.

If you've already divided them you'll need to right click figures in the DB and choose add figure from object (or something along that line) then select the figures that are "new".

PITA yes, I wish the software would just do it, soon maybe.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 13
IanMcClain

The best way to deal with this is to edit the data source file by adding the appropriate codes where necessary, then re-importing the file. The database makes this ease by letting you right click on an import event, get to the source file under properties, and re-import all from the context menu. I'd recommend having the surveyor edit the data since it's his and he'll remember next time.

The only problem with the above method is that you will lose any edit you've made in processing the data, applying custom point symbols, etc. If this is the case I would recommend edit the points where the figure commands belong. You can edit individual points in the survey database, add the codes, and then right click on figures and reprocess the linework.

If that is too much work or your figures have a lot of edits already, then you can take your modified figures and create figures from object (survey pull down or right click figures), whcih will copy them to the survey database, then deleted the original figure that came from the import.

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 13
DaveM
in reply to: IanMcClain

Surveydatabase 2.png

On survey tab right click firures and select create from object then select the survey figure that does not have a name. if you would like more detail let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 5 of 13
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: DaveM

If you edit the survey figure, one of the options is to break a figure at a vertex. When you do that, you will be prompted for the name of the new survey figure.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 13
d1of2

I was trying to avoid editing the source file. The surveyor that did this is out of town on a job and will not be back before my desing is due. I was hoping there would be a better way.

Windows 7 64
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX460M
Civil 3D 2012 SP2.1
Message 7 of 13
d1of2
in reply to: IanMcClain

Thanks lan! I have already used survey figures where I still could, and exploded to fiugre lines where I needed to. This is the answere I was looking for, you last option anyway.

Windows 7 64
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX460M
Civil 3D 2012 SP2.1
Message 8 of 13
d1of2
in reply to: DaveM

I would have sworn I looked there! Thanks a million! I must have been driving the computer while asleep or something.

Windows 7 64
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX460M
Civil 3D 2012 SP2.1
Message 9 of 13
peterfunkautodesk

If you break the figure using the tool in the "Figure Properties" dialog box (like my screen shot shows), the figure will be broken into two and the new figure will be added to the survey database. This was added in 2012.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 13

That's good to know, Peter. I don't think I've had to break a survey line since I started using 2012 yet, but that will definately save a few steps when I do. Thanks!

Ian McClain
Message 11 of 13
sjg
Advisor

I've seen you've already accepted a solution, but you could always change the coding of the points within the drawing. Select the point you want to modify, select Survey Point Properties, from the ribbon, add an "E" to the description, hit OK. You will then be prompted if you would like to reprocess linework, yes. Survey figure will appear as it should. I use this method for the majority of coding changes rather than modifing the original text file.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 12 of 13
kbiggs
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Peter:

This has not been my experience using Civil 3D 2012 SP3. When I break a survey figure, the first segment retains the original figure name, however, the second segment is named FIGURE and is not included in the survey database. I have verified this functionality since reviewing your post.

Can you verify this functionality has been tested and works.

Thanks,

Keith Biggs

Chair, CAD Standards Committee

Senior CAD Technician

R.F. Binnie & Associates Ltd.

19232 Enterprise Way #101

Surrey, BC V3S 6J9 Tel: +1 (604) 574-3336  Fax: +1 (604) 574-7355

www.binnie.com

Message 13 of 13

I'm not seeing it either with 2012 SP3. If I look at a figure's properties I see the top half of the window, but not the bottom part with the editing tools. It is the same whether I try from the survey database or the figure in the drawing.

Ian McClain

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report