Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divided Road Intersection with Superelevation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Nik-D
487 Views, 3 Replies

Divided Road Intersection with Superelevation

Hi all

I am having serious problems modelling a divided road. The road is on a curve. There is an intersection on the curve. There is a left turning lane at the intersection. and the median crosses the centreline completely where the left turning lane is. I need the superelevation to pivot at the median edges keeping the median flat.

I have tried wierd and wonderful subassemblies but nothing seems to work.

How do I do this

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ericcollins6932
in reply to: Nik-D

you'll need a number of regions for the road before and after the intersection, transition zones to the intersection and for the intersection itself.

You'll have to set up all your targets both horizontal and vertical for what would be cl, ep alignments and rotate your supers on the median.

Intersections on curves adds other elements of concern such as stopping sight distances, etc. Not sure how much I need to break this down - perhaps you can outline what you are doing.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 4
mathewkol
in reply to: Nik-D

Not to mention that the intersection wizard appears to ignore completely any superelevation values. You essentially need to create the intersection the old fashioned way. Not entirely, but almost.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 4
Nik-D
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi guys

Thanks for your responses, sorry for not getting back but lets just say i've had a couple of busy days.

I kind of solved the problem but not exactly as best i wanted. I ended up creating the junction manually as sugested and had alrfeady discovered to my dismay that the intersection wizard does not cater for SE on curves.

The main problem i had was that I was updating a design we have "taken over" from others. The info I had was a centreline down the road and a plan layout. I had to tie into existing design points at other locations but I had no idea how the "others" had treated the median (which crossed the centreline many times and included widenings and LH turning lanes) and I had no cross sections to work with. Smiley Frustrated

Anyway i have it finished now but thanks for the advice.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report