Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ditches - looking for the most efficient ways & tips /tricks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
SSAuburn
264 Views, 2 Replies

Ditches - looking for the most efficient ways & tips /tricks

Good morning,

I need help creating ditches because I don't think I'm doing them the most effecient way.  Currently I'm creating the ditches using basic lanes as the bottom and daylighting to the sides.  But I can't seem to figure out a daylighting command that will let me "daylight to surface with 3' width".  I'm using the assembly as the flow line of the ditch.

One ditch is 2' wide on the bottom and 3:1 side slopes on both sides.  And some of the ditches are ditch/retaining wall combos (retaining wall on one side then flat bottom and the 3:1 side slope)

What is the best assembly to use for these type of ditches?

Is there way to "daylight 3' wide to the surface".

Anyone know of any webinars or youtube videos to help? 

PLEASE HELP THANKS!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mathewkol
in reply to: SSAuburn

For the daylight 3' wide, there really isn't one that does this perfectly. You can use the daylight max width which will steepen the slope if the daylight width would normally exceed 3'. However, if your daylight would be 2' at the nominal slope, it will not make the slope shallower to go out to 3'.

You can use the daylight to offset, but this is measured from your baseline and not from its insertion point. If you have a polyline that represents that 3' width you can use it as a target and you get exactly what you need.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 3
sboon
in reply to: SSAuburn

If you want to daylight at a specific offset then there is a generic link called LinkOffsetOnSurface which may work for you.  As a general rule I recommend avoiding the Basic subassemblies for real work.  They're really intended for training only and are limited in their functionality.  You're currently using a lane subassembly for the bottom of the ditch - is it necessary to have a material thickness there?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report