Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dissapearing label objects linked to a data references

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
aphelan0032
1020 Views, 6 Replies

dissapearing label objects linked to a data references

Hello, we are currently experiencing an issue when we label objects linked to a data references we have labels disappearing in our drawings. These labels include spot elevations, alignment labels, profile pipe labels, profile bands, structure tables, etc. I think it is a problem with the data shortcuts because when the labels are gone usually the data shortcutted surfaces are listed as <No Name Provided> and the data shortcut working folder project is lost (defaults to the C drive). Usually this happens when final markups are being completed and then isn’t realized until the drawings are plotted or a review agency comments.Yes, I have restarted my AutoCAD.Yes, I have restarted my computer.Yes, I have run recover on the drawings.Yes, I have audited the drawings.Yes, I have created a new data shortcut folder.Yes, I have set the working folder.Yes, I have associated the project to the drawings.Yes, I have done all this for every drawing that it within the project. Is anyone else experiancing this or have a solution?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: aphelan0032

Does issuing the command SYNCHRONIZEREFERENCES bring things back to 'normal'?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 7
kcobabe

Does your office not have a network?  I would store all drawings and drawing shortcuts on the network.  The problem you are experiencing is when the refernce link goes MIA.  If you browse to the correct path all your labels will reappear.  The link to the object in the drawing will nto go away, but it will not have a clue of what you are pointing that label to if the link is non existant.

Hope I am making sense, but if you do not have a network I would look at least into getting a NAS.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 4 of 7
aphelan0032
in reply to: Jeff_M

We have not specifically tried that command, in the tool space, we right click on the surface and click synchronize, then we are prompted to either "update the surface name" or "keep the old name" (<No Name Provided>). When we click update the surface name, the name updates and all the data is correct, but all the labels associated with the surface are gone. 

Message 5 of 7
aphelan0032
in reply to: kcobabe

We do have a network. When we update the surface name by syncronizing it, all the information associated with the surface is correct, but the labels are gone.

Message 6 of 7
aphelan0032

I have attached a drawing with an example of some of the issues we are experiancing. In the drawing you'll notice that there are two tables, Storm Structure Table, and Sanitary Structure Table, the tables generally list all the "Structure Objects" but the tables have lost the reference. Any Ideas?  

Message 7 of 7
cadtech1986

I am having the same issue with a project. I have a drawing with surface spot elevation labels tied to a data-referenced FG. I opened the drawing to find the surface name "<No Name Provided>", and my elevation labels completely missing. When I synchronized the surface, the labels were still gone. I have some pipe structures tied to this surface which had "???" for the rim elevations, and synchronizing the surface fixed those just fine. It looks like it is only the surface labels that completely disappear without a trace.

It looks like I am going to redo my surface callouts, but I would like to avoid this from happening again (this is the second time). 

It is especially problematic with surface labels, as they competely disappear (as opposed to just showing "???"), not even leaving a marker where the label was placed. I placed my labels by hand at certain locations along a curb line, so if someone could recommend an alternative workflow it would be appreciated. Cogo points aren't dynamically linked to the surface, otherwise I would use those.

Another problem that happens with this same project: I will open the drawing, the d-refed surfaces will show up in Toolspace but not show up in my drawing (I know it is not a style issue). I will right click and select/zoom to the surface via Toolspace, and it will seem like a surface is being selected (the Properties window shows it as selected and with the correct style), but nothing is there. In these cases, I will force delete the surface (select from Toolspace and press the delete key on my keyboard), and re-reference the data shortcut. Then the surface will show up with the correct style. Again, I have no idea why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report