Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

displaying depths of combined surface

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ces
Advocate
357 Views, 9 Replies

displaying depths of combined surface

hi all,

I am looking for some help in displaying depths of a combined surface. I can give the client cut and fill grid ticks, but they want a map, so to speak. I have an existing surface. I have a post dredging surface. I can run the volumes and create a comparison surface. Now what I need is to display the combined surface in such a way that you can easily see, this is the area where 0 - 0.5 feet was removed, this this the area where 0.5 -1.0 feet was removed, and so on and so forth. I am sure can be acomplished, but I am having trouble figuring it out on my own. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

ces

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: ces

If you haven't already, create a volume surface and change it's style to show Elevation Bands. The bands would show the different cut/fill depths

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10
ces
Advocate
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Peter,

thanks for the help...that is what I want to do, but I do not know how...I have a comparison surface, but elevation bands are not one of the options in the display tab...do I need to create a new style...???...

thanks again,

ces

Message 4 of 10
DaveM

The style just refers to the elevation bands as Elevation see image below.

6-24-2013 10-31-25 AM.png

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 5 of 10
ces
Advocate
in reply to: DaveM

thanks Dave...!!!...

Message 6 of 10
DaveM

If you really dont need a colorful map, you can just contour the volume surface and label the contours. This is how i have done the same type of map often.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 7 of 10
DaveM

Other useful information:

The default seperation can be controlled in the analysis tab. i usually change my style to range interval, with the interval set to 1'. You also use this tab to set the default color scheme.

6-24-2013 10-36-41 AM.png

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 8 of 10
ces
Advocate

I can get it to display now, but it seems to disreguard my criteria...I keep setting it to "range interval" but it does not change the display...then when I try to change the surface properties again, it is set to "number of ranges" again...do not know what I am doing wrong...

thanks again,

ces

Message 9 of 10
ces
Advocate

never mind, I figured it out...thanks again guys...

Message 10 of 10
DaveM

There are two areas that can control this information. The one i showed previously is the surface style and there is also one in the surface properties, as shown below. I believe that the one in surface properties will always overide any settings in the style.

6-24-2013 10-59-46 AM.png

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report