Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying Contours

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
tmg71
2538 Views, 11 Replies

Displaying Contours

As I add contour labels, I get a notice "Displaying Contours" at the bottom. Very frustrating! I can only add one label at a time and the display takes longer than it should. Any thoughts on how get things back to "normal" labeling more than one contour at a time without the interruption? It's a fairly large drawing and at the present rate it will take a month of Sundays to finish. It happens during the save command as well.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
vlsheehan
in reply to: tmg71

Is Level of Detail turned on?

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 3 of 12
tmg71
in reply to: vlsheehan

Fairly new to this. Not sure what that is or where to find it.
Message 4 of 12
doni49

This was the first listing on a Bing search for civil 3d level of detail.

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/05/autocad-civil-3d-2012-preview-surface-level-of-detai...

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 12
tmg71
in reply to: doni49

Turning the level of detail on removed the "Displaying Contours"  progress bar, however that is all it did. The interruption and length of interruption remained the same. I am still only able to label one contour at a time, then wait before labeling another. 

Message 6 of 12
doni49

1. How big is the file?  Is the surface a dynamic reference?  If yes, how big is the source file?
  2. What version are you working in (including service pack number)?
  3. What are your PC specs?  If there isn't enough ram to handle the file, I can imagine that causing such an issue.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 12
hmartinez5
in reply to: doni49

Make sure you are using the "Contour - Multiple" instead of the "Contour - Single" from the Add Label Box before labeling the contours. Also,  make sure the label styles for the major and minor are set to display.

Message 8 of 12
rl_jackson
in reply to: hmartinez5

Type levelofdetailoff at the command line and turn it off. Annoying very annoying. It has always worked only in principal.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
autoMick
in reply to: rl_jackson

Agreed. I make it a point never to use levelofdetail.

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 10 of 12
DJLxyz

Have same issue with Displaying Contours.  Switched contour smoothing to False and labeling sped up some.  Turned level of detail off and contour labeling sped up some more.  However contour labeling is still slow and will take me maybe 3 Sundays out of the month to label.

I have to do single contour labels.  The surface is LiDAR based.  I have single labeled Lidar based contours on larger surfaces in previous versions of Civil 3D before Civil 3D 2014 without a speed issue.  This is the first time I had to turn contour smoothing to false and level of detail off.

Message 11 of 12
rl_jackson
in reply to: DJLxyz

Are you importing the Lidar Points into the drawing, if so I would recomend, that you remove the from the drawing and instead add them to your surface as a point file. This will remove all the objects being created as your Lidar surface is probably quite dense.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
DJLxyz
in reply to: DJLxyz

Ended up going under Settings, Surface, Edit Feature Settings - Surface, Contour Labeling Defaults, Label Mask Type and then changing Value to From Label Style.  The contour label doesn't look as pretty but I get a label done in an instant.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report