Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabled Civil 3D commands

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
dbiehler
1265 Views, 11 Replies

Disabled Civil 3D commands

I am getting the following error upon opening up a drawing from a surveyor

"This drawing was created with a newer version of Civil 3D. All entities created by Civil 3D within the drawing are in proxy state. Additionally, all commands, settings, and displays of Civil 3D are disabled for this drawing."

I can not do anything with the data from the surveyor because it will not allow me to create a surface.  Has anyone had this issue and know how to correct it?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
troma
in reply to: dbiehler

What data is in the drawing?  What other data do you have?  What data do you need?

I think you may be able to export to ACAD to get rid of the message, but you will have to go back to the surveyor to get useable data like cogo points.  On the other hand, if you export to ACAD you may end up with ACAD points, which could be acceptable to build a surface.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 12
dbiehler
in reply to: troma

The drawing contains contours and points.  I do have the tin file but it won't let me put it into the drawing.  I need to be able to create a surface and than profile. 

Message 4 of 12
Jeff_M

Civil3D is not able to use drawings from newer versions. So if you have C3D2011, but the surveyor uses C3D2012, even though they share the same dwg format, C3D2011 will disable itself...as you've seen. You will need to have the surveyor provide you with a drawing usable in your version (ExportTo will do this, but it creates basic Autocad objects in place of C3D objects) or give you the data files to recreate it such as ASCII point file, LandXML Surface, etc.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 12
Neilw_05

As you may not have realized, C3D drawings are not backwards compatible, meaning you can't open a 2013 version file in 2012, etc. You could obtain the raw data from the surveyor and re-create the surface model but you may not end up with the same surface as the surveyor because he may have made adjustments to his surface model via settings, etc.

Ideally you want to get a snapshot of his surface model. One way to do that is via LandXML. Have him export his surface models to an XML file and then import the XML file into your drawings. You should get an exact copy of his surface and can proceed.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 12
dbiehler
in reply to: Neilw_05

I have the tin file from the surveyor, is that not good enough? If I get the xml file will the civid 3d commands become active in the drawing again? I can't really start with a new drawing as there is a ton of information in plan view that I also need to show on my drawings.  

Message 7 of 12
troma

You say you have a TIN file, what do you have?  Is that a drawing with the TIN in it?  If so,export that back to whatever version you're using and build a surface from 3D faces.

You should probably start a new drawing from your template.  Export the other drawing back to acad of whatever version you're in, then copy/paste what you need out of it.  It will not be C3D data, it will just be dumb acad objects.  But at least your C3D commands won't be disabled.  Any other data you can bring in later, such as cogo points or xml.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 12
dbiehler
in reply to: troma

I have a .tin file from the surveyor.  I was planning on creating a surface using that file.  It is a completely separate file. 

Message 9 of 12
troma

I am not familiar with those.  But does this help:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/AutoCAD_Civil_3D/enu/2013/Help/API_Developer%27s_Guide/0030-Surfaces30/...

If I were you I would ask the surveyor for a drawing with TIN in it (3D faces).

Mark Green

Message 10 of 12
Neilw_05

You can save yourself a lot of headaches if you ask the surveyor to convert his drawings to a version of Autocad you can use. That will at least give you dumb cad graphics that you can utilize in your projects. It is important that the surveyor uses the Export to Autocad command in Civil 3D, not the Save-as option. The difference is the Export command will convert all the Civil 3D objects to plain Autocad objects. If he instead uses Save-As, all the civil 3D objects will remain intact and you will not be able to use the graphics.

Of course you will still need to get his surface model in an XML file if you want to have a functional surface model for your project.

It is not unreasonable to make such requests of consultants as it is a necessity for all Civl 3D users to understand the interoperability issues when exchanging data.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 11 of 12
Neilw_05

Since this thread has not been marked as solved, are you needing further assistance?

It appears you are struggling with how to make civil 3D functional while preserving the data in your current file. As one poster suggested, try Exporting your file to a format that is compatible with your version. The Export tool will strip out all the incompatible C3D components and make your file functional again. From there you can import the XML file or recreate the TIN from triangles if you have them.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 12
tcorey

@dbiehler wrote:

I am getting the following error upon opening up a drawing from a surveyor

"This drawing was created with a newer version of Civil 3D. All entities created by Civil 3D within the drawing are in proxy state. Additionally, all commands, settings, and displays of Civil 3D are disabled for this drawing."

I can not do anything with the data from the surveyor because it will not allow me to create a surface.  Has anyone had this issue and know how to correct it?

You should start a New drawing with your version of Civil 3D. Make your surface by importing the TIN file to which you refer in your latter post.

Open the drawing sent to you by the surveyor, Wblock the AutoCAD objects you need and then insert that into the new drawing. Optionally, you can copy and paste. This will work for the AutoCAD objects, but not the Civil 3D-specific objects.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report