Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions changing from feet and inches to decimal

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wbrustle
14667 Views, 7 Replies

dimensions changing from feet and inches to decimal

I have several details that were given to me electronically that have the dimensions labeled as feet and inches, and when I open the drawing the units are decimal inches....when I copy the detail and then try and paste it into my autocad dwg that is set to decimal feet, the dimensions change and now read decimal....very strange.....any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: wbrustle

What units are your Dimension Styles set to?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 8
wbrustle
in reply to: Pointdump

units in both drawings are set to decimal, however when I get into the detail drawing where all the dimensions are, and I myself dimension something using their style, the dimensions list as decimal, even though the dimensions they have created using the same style I used are showing dimensions as inches, so I dont get it.

Message 4 of 8
Pointdump

On the Primary Units Tab in your Dimension Style, what is your Scale Factor set to? This is what I set my Scale Factor to when I want Architectural Units:

DimStyles.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 8
doni49

It sounds like you're saying that you're placing a dim using their dim style and it's not looking the same as the dims hey placed.

If that's true then their dims are either using a DIFFERENT style or the dims have settings that are overriding the dim style.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 8
wbrustle

I did as you posted and updated their dimstyle to the settings you provided, and when I did, the dimensions they had in the drawing, changed to an entirely different number. Also, very strange, I notice that when I select the dimension and go to properties under text there is no place to change the text, like the dimensions I am used to using under "measurement" you can revise the dimension. They have no "measurement" space. 

Message 7 of 8
Jay_B

Often times people just modify the "Standard" dimension Style.

Does you Dimstyle happen to be called "Standard" in the target dwg pasted to?

Check this in the dwg copied from on the "Primary Units Tab" Dave shows in his caption.

Linear dimensions>Unit Format: (Sounds like this may be set to Architectural).

Check the same in your dwg in which it's pasted to.

Linear dimensions>Unit Format: (Sounds like this may be set to Decimal).

If I copy paste dimensions using the above scenario my dimensions all display as decimal units in my drawing too.

As far as the "measurement" not being available in Properties Palette, Is "Text" heading by chance collapsed?

Or could you post a caption of what you do see in Properties?

Also lets compare the Drawing units for each dwg by entering -DWGUNITS (note the dash) @ command line.

Does the units for the Copy & the Paste dwg's match up?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 8
paminjav

Thanks. It was helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report