Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimension compound angle in Civil 3d

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Ross_S1
1351 Views, 11 Replies

dimension compound angle in Civil 3d

I have a pipe bend drawn, that has both horizontal and vertical deflection.  I want to find the angle of the bend.  When I use the angular dimension tool, it gives me the angle in the xy plane, but disregards the z direction.  How do I measure /dimension the compound angle?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Never heard of a compound angle. Seems to me it could be infinate number of planes between the horizontal and vertical plan all with a different angle. I guess thats the answer determin that plane set the ucs to it ( the pressure pipe gliph should be helpful) and measure
Message 3 of 12
Pointdump
in reply to: Ross_S1

Ross,

This will probably sound boneheaded and inelegant, but couldn't you list the line thusly:

List1.png

As for dimensioning, you could use a note.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 12

Personally I have not done any design in quite some time, and I've just been using C3D strictly for survey.

My first thought is if this is a standard pipe network, the angle would be determind by slope, which could also be interpreted as a ratio, but either way its still an angle (or at least an angle could be computed).

My second thought if its a pressure pipe, wouldn't you then have specific bends applied to the network, which would be standard  (i.e. 11.25, 33,45,90 etc..) so would not the angle already be defined (here anything short of a standard bend would most likely break the bank to get made special, not to say it doesn't happen).

In either case I would certainly think that if this was to be anotated in any way you would need both a plan and profile to show the horizontal and vertical angles, and might even require a section as HorizontalCurveGuy stated it is technically infinte, as you would be moving in multiple planes at once.

Now having said that you may what to take a look at Object Snaps - Polar Tracking tab, as it may present a solution to your problem.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
AllenJessup

I don't have any experience with a UCS. But if you created a UCS base on the 2 legs of the pipe. Would that allow you to label the full angle?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Pointdump

Ross,

Allen's UCS idea is easy. Here I labelled the angle two ways:

Angle.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 12
AllenJessup
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave,

Glad you got it to work. I gave it a quick try and decided I didn't know enough about a UCS to do it without a lot of practice.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 12

Hey! what about ..."I guess thats the answer determin that plane set the ucs to it "...
Jus bustin. kudos Allen <G>
Message 9 of 12

Hi Allen
UCS 3Point>>> end, vertex, end. Then PLAN >> current. Dimension as if it were world
Message 10 of 12

One small distinction in setting a UCS with 3 Point. The order that you click is important. The first time I tried this, I clicked in the order shown, and my dimension (and the ViewCube) was backwards. Unfixably backwards. So I reset the UCS with 3 Point, this time selecting click-points from the other direction. That worked.

backwards2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 11 of 12
Ross_S1

It looks like the UCS idea is what I'm after, but I've got some learning to do.  Thanks to all that responded.

Message 12 of 12
Ross_S1

It looks like the first part of the UCS response was as much part of the answer as the one that I "accepted as an answer".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report