Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Elevation at Each Vertex Point with 3D Polyline

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
3Dvisualization
370 Views, 4 Replies

Different Elevation at Each Vertex Point with 3D Polyline

Hi Guys,

I am working on Autodesk Civil 3D version 2010, I need to draw a polyline with different elevation at each vertex. When I change a vertex point elevation, others vertex points elevation have also automatically been changed to the same elevation, or pop up a window: You can't modify a property while dragging grips.

Who can give me a direction how to get a polyline with different elevation at each vertex point?

Your help is always greatly appreciated!

3D Visualization

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

First, you should never hijack another thread- start a new topic.

Second, common plines only exist in z dimension at 1 elevation. You need to do a 3d polyline or better yet, use a feature line.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 5
khylton
in reply to: 3Dvisualization

Instead of using a regular polyline you need to use a 3d polyline.  Type 3Dpoly at the command prompt and recreate your line.  Then you can edit the vertex elevations through the properties dialog.

Message 4 of 5
chd4trichard
in reply to: khylton

As I recall, this was not the case in previous (2008 and older) versions of C3D.  I always used a basic polyline to create breaklines for surfaces, and it worked fine.  Now, must use 3Dpoly or feature line, and train survey and drafting crews to do the same.  Why revise such a basic feature in the software?

Message 5 of 5
Sinc
in reply to: chd4trichard

No, no change there.

Perhaps you are thinking of Proximity Breaklines...?  You can still use those in C3D, but I believe there was a slight change in behavior in Proximity Breaklines between LDD and C3D.  We don't use Proximity Breaklines, and actually like working in 3D, so I'm a bit hazy on the details of Proximity Breaklines.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report