Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DGNPURGE doesn't work on all computers

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jbear0000
5905 Views, 9 Replies

DGNPURGE doesn't work on all computers

This is in reference to the DGNPURGE command for Civil 3D 2014 that can be installed from this hotfix: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=22002791&linkID=9240698

I have already installed Service pack 1 for Civil 3D 2014.

I installed this hotfix on 16 computers in my office. So far the command runs successfully on only 4 computers.

Everyone in my company uses Windows 7 64-bit on computers that are identical. Once the hotfix is installed it doesn't work for everyone. It will run, but it returns this error: 

"Unable to erase stroke (AcDbZombieObject): eNotAllowedForThisProxy" 

That error is displayed thousands of times, I assume once for each unreferenced stroke. The at the end it says this: 

"Purged 0 unreferenced complex linetype records (of 0). 
Purged 0 unreferenced strokes (of 19970)." 

For only a few people, when they run DGNPURGE on the same exact drawing and it purges the unreferenced strokes just fine. It then says: 

"Purged 0 unreferenced complex linetype records (of 0) 
Purged 19969 unreferenced strokes (of 19970)" 

Each installation of Civil 3D was performed in exactly the same way from a deployment by one of our IT staff members. In addition, we already tried uninstalling Civil 3D and reinstalling it on one of the computers and it still doesn't work.

At the suggestion of Autodesk support I tried starting one of the computers in diagnostic mode and that didn't help either.

I made sure to use the files in the px64 folder. In addition, I did try the files in the px86 folder just to see if they would work and they do not.

Also, I have installed the Civil 3D 2012 hotfix for everyone and it works fine for everyone including those who the C3D 2014 hotfix doesn't work.

We have been having a huge problem with drawings that are contaminated with dgn databases for a long time so any help with this would really be appreciated. Has anyone else come across this issue and have you found a way to fix it?

Attached is the drawing we have been using to test DGNPURGE.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Neilw_05
in reply to: jbear0000

Mine worked fine. (C3D 2013 see my signature).

Do any of the users have Microstation or related products installed (I do)?
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 10
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

BTW I tested this under 32 bit XP.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 10
jbear0000
in reply to: Neilw_05

We do not have anyone in our company that uses Microstation. This problem started with drawings we had recieved from outside sources. As people copied and pasted from drawing to drawing the problem spread.

Message 5 of 10
kean.walmsley

After spending some time looking into this (and a few emails back and forth), I think I've found the reason.

If the DEMANDLOAD system variable is set to 0 (this is also accessible via the Options dialog, on the Open and Save tab you'll find "Demand load ObjectARX apps" in the bottom right corner), then the Object Enabler module (acdgnls.dbx) won't get loaded when a DWG containing DGN linestyles is opened.

Setting DEMANDLOAD to 1 or 3 (both of which allow Object Enabler loading on proxy detection) and reloading the DWG should allow the tool to work properly.

I hope this helps,

Kean

Kean Walmsley

Platform Architect & Evangelist, Autodesk Research

Blog | Twitter
Message 6 of 10

In the end it turned out that some of the problematic installations were missing Registry entries. More details here:

http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2014/01/update-on-purging-dgn-linesty...

Kean

Kean Walmsley

Platform Architect & Evangelist, Autodesk Research

Blog | Twitter
Message 7 of 10
Dak.Arch
in reply to: kean.walmsley

I've found a work around via exporting the file.  I'm using Acad Architecture 2014 for this fix.  Hopefully it is similar for your applications.

FIRST!!!  If you have files xref'd that you would like to remain xref'd after this export, UNLOAD them prior to performing the export.  They will then remain xref'd to your drawing.  If you don't - the files get bound in as blocks via the export.

File - Export - AutoCad -  AutoCad2013   (I used the AutoCad 2013 option, have not expored other options to this point)

Save the file as a different name.  Close out of the file you just performed the export.

Then open up the new, exported file and save over the previous file.  Reload your xref's as needed and you should have a nicely cleaned out file.

Message 8 of 10
jbear0000
in reply to: Dak.Arch

@Dak.Arch Actually the post about your's has a kean.walmsley's blog. He helped me figure out the solution to the problem. Also, your solution wouldn't work with Civil 3D, if we export everything to Autocad like you suggested all objects such as surfaces, points, alignments, etc. will be downgraded to simple linework which means we would lose the fuctionality of those objects. Also, AutoCAD 2015 and 2016 have the dgnpurge command merged with the purge command.

Message 9 of 10
Dak.Arch

Excellent Point - any chance you can point me to the blog? 

Thanks!!

Message 10 of 10
jbear0000
in reply to: Dak.Arch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report