Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dgn deliverables

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jmayo-EE
337 Views, 9 Replies

dgn deliverables

I am quite ignrant with dgn but I hear it does not work with a concept similar to model/paperspace.

If a client wants a dgn with the model & papaerspace contents, essentially sending each sheet in one space, what is the recommended procedure?

Do we have to use chspace in each sheet followed by a maptrim to the viewport?

John Mayo

EESignature

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You can right-click on the layout and choose Export to Model.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks Todd. I assume I have to export to dwg before export to model so the C3D objects go along nicely?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
ToddRogers-WPM

That would be my guess.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

In the help file for 2015, it says there's a selection in the Files Export Table to "Include Sheets". I'm assuming it's there for 2014 as well.  I don't know how this works, good luck.  Just remember KISS, simple linetypes, simple text styles (no shx), etc.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 6 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

It can certainly be done easily from the toolbar in 2015 - I've had mixed results in the Right Click Sheet tab and Export to Model route although I've had the need to supply DGN files

DGNexport.jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 10
Neilw_05

I haven't experimented with the DGN export tool to see how it handles sheet layouts but I'm confident it will meet your needs without having to move all your layouts to model space.

DGN supports the model space and paper space concept but it is handed slightly differently. A sheet in DGN is really just another model space with the extents set to the sheet size and the "viewports" are clipped xref's scaled and aligned to fit the sheet.

Microstation can read and write DWG files directly so it might work better to provide your DWG's in a version that is supported by the recipient's version of Microstation.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Neilw_05

Thanks to all for responding. I appreciate all of the input. I will try to fire up 2015 and give it a go.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
vlsheehan

I haven't used the Export Civil 3D Drawing tool as of yet. The last project that was required in DGN, I used the Export to Model from the layout tab then exported the DWG to DGN. The Export to Model had a few issues exporting surfaces and pipe networks so I ran an export on the model files then re-referenced the sheets.

Vincent Sheehan

Sr. Civil Designer
Poly In 3D Blog

Message 10 of 10
HansSMS
in reply to: vlsheehan

Microstation consistently does a better job with DWG/DGN conversions. Any client Microstation user can take a DWG file and convert it to DGN and do a better job than the AutoCAD user will. This doesn't mean I like Microstation. 🙂
Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report