Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determine elevations along slope

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
randcdavidson
908 Views, 29 Replies

Determine elevations along slope

I need to project a surface/grading (or something of that nature) across my berm and have it intersect with the inside bank. This is better explained if you see the attached image. In the plan view you see 4 featurelines. Outside TOE, outside TOB, inside TOB then inside TOE. I need to project the outside TOE across the berm (shown in the section view) then create a new featureline where the line and inside slope of the berm intersect. Note that all the elevation shots vary as does the widths across the berm. What's the best way to do this?

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: randcdavidson

create the FL at the toe of the berm create a grading with auto surface checked, by distance at 0% far enought to pass the other side of the berm. Now make a volume surface of the Berm & the Grading and extract the 0 contour at the opposite side of the berm

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 30

I tried this however it places my volume surface at 0 elevation

Message 4 of 30
fcernst

Command: _AeccAdjacentFeatureElevsByRef

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 30
Joe-Bouza

Sounds like you have the same two surfaces in you volume surface. check again.

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 30
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: fcernst

Hi Fred, I may be missing something; although that will give the correct elevation how does it give the correct location?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 30
fcernst
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Oh right, didn't read that carefully.

He could create a corridor with a short flat width link and attach a link to surface with a horizontal daylight slope and extract the feature line.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 30
troma

I would've done a grading, same as Joe. But then just explode it; the target featureline is the location we're looking for, correct? No need for a grading surface or volume surface.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 9 of 30
Neilw_05
in reply to: troma

Isn't there a new feature (2013?) that automatically creates a dynamic boundary between 2 surfaces? I don't know what the command is, nor could I find it in help.
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 10 of 30
fcernst

A Corridor is much more versatile. He can create sections for his team to look at, do a quick berm volume table by station, and show quickly the area with hatching in plan view. 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 30
randcdavidson

Troma. How will this find the point where the grading intersects the inside berm? That is the area where I need the new 3dpolyline or featureline to be. I need that to get an area
Message 12 of 30
randcdavidson

The "volume" surface is created out of the EG and new surface from the grading. As you see once created it gets placed below the EG. No way to extract the contour at the correct elevation

Message 13 of 30
Joe-Bouza

The 0 elevation contour of the volume surface would be at the location where EG & the Grading intersect (where the volume is 0. This only locates the point alont the back slope, then you would turn to FL and assign elevation from the berm surface

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 14 of 30

Joe. what I wound up doing is an infill on the inside bank between the Inside TOE and Inside TOB. I then created a surface I called "face" out of that then graded the outside toe 0% to "face" surface. That graded it right up to where the outside toe elevations met the inside bank slope. Result: Featurline along inside bank with matching elevations based on outside toes.

Thanks for the help

Message 15 of 30
troma

Sorry, I thought you already had a "face" surface. So my instructions lacked that step. But otherwise we're in agreement, I think.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 16 of 30
el.Topo

wouldn't it be simpler if you create a stepped offset of the feature line at 0 elevation difference in a secure distance beyond the berm limits

and then create a surface from these 2 breaklines so as to get the 0 contour from the volume surface...

I agree on the extraction of the volume surface's 0 contour for sure 😉

MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 CPU M 620@2.67GHz, 8GB RAM
W7Pro SP1, 64-bit / Civil3D 2016
Message 17 of 30
fcernst
in reply to: Neilw_05

Command: _MinimumDistBetweenSurfaces

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 18 of 30
el.Topo
in reply to: fcernst

even better! no need for a volume surface...

MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 CPU M 620@2.67GHz, 8GB RAM
W7Pro SP1, 64-bit / Civil3D 2016
Message 19 of 30
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: el.Topo

To each his own I guess, The grading makes the offset and surface at the same time, no?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 20 of 30
Feckit

Create a stepped offset to the correct (inside) side at a distance you know will be well past the intersection point.

Create a surface between that new line and the original.

Use the MINIMUMDISTBETWEENSURFACES command to create a 3D polyline which is the intersection line that your looking for.

Kind Regards

Feckit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report