Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Suite Premium versus Standalone Civil 3D

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
neilyj666
379 Views, 6 Replies

Design Suite Premium versus Standalone Civil 3D

TIme to renew the subscription again and have been offered to upgrade from standalone to Design Suite Premium (for no additional cost this year but with an increase in subscription next year of 5-6%)

I'm not convinced that there is anything in the Suite that I could usefully use day to day (in fact I'd give up Storm and Sanitary Analysis from the standalone Civil 3D as I have no use for it...!!!!)

Has anyone upgraded in the way mentioned, has anyone seen a major boost in their productivity or is it just a case of more software packages that can't talk to each other directly unless a whole set of intermediate hoops is jumped through?? 

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: neilyj666

3ds max and raster design may have some use

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Neilw_05

Has anyone upgraded in the way mentioned, has anyone seen a major boost in their productivity or is it just a case of more software packages that can't talk to each other directly unless a whole set of intermediate hoops is jumped through??

That's my opinion. I'm not at all impressed with Infrastructure Modeler (which was my primary interest in the suite). We don't need 3DS as we don't do high end renderings. Basically C3D does all the things we need that the other suite products do. The rest is redundant and requires learning more software.

If the cost goes up we'll probably not renew the suite.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: Neilw_05

Suites are usually only worth it if you actually use most of them.  Even if one or two don't and you are using another three to four, it can still be a good deal.  If you only use the one, well yeah - you aren't getting anything.

Never say never though - every time somebody here has said "Don't bother, we'll never use that!" somebody else will come asking about it in a month or two, and it will be standard procedure by the next year.  😉

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 7
mathewkol

If you're interested in AIM, it's certainly possible that the 2014 version will have some perks that will tip your favour. We won't know until t arrives of course.

Anyway, something to consider. I guess another option is Navisworks Manage. In C3D 2013 one cannot perform an interference involving pressure pipes, but Naviswork Manage can. I can't remember if Manage is included with Premium.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: mathewkol

That's just in Ultimate I believe.

May be I'll just stick with the standalone this time around as it does pretty much what I need

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
dgorsman

I think you're right - most of the Premium Suites include Simulate, and leave the uber-pricey Manage program to the Ultimate Suites.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report