Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description Keys, different symbols same size

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
sjg
Advisor
598 Views, 11 Replies

Description Keys, different symbols same size

Have 4 description keys set up for four different tree size ranges. Using 4 different blocks that look the same but are different sizes. When I import the points they all come in at the same size. They are also to be scaled per the viewport. I verified that my point style was using the 4 different blocks and marker to set to scale per the drawing scale at 1. Again when I insert the blocks themselves they are all different sizes. Any suggestions.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: sjg

Can you post a screen shot of your Point Style settings?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 12
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Here is screen capture of one of the point styles.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 4 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM

Are all 4 blocks set to Use Drawing Scale 1.000'?

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 12
owenmull

@Anonymous wrote:
Have 4 description keys set up for four different tree size ranges. Using 4 different blocks that look the same but are different sizes. When I import the points they all come in at the same size. They are also to be scaled per the viewport. I verified that my point style was using the 4 different blocks and marker to set to scale per the drawing scale at 1. Again when I insert the blocks themselves they are all different sizes. Any suggestions.

The size of the block in its original state has no bearing on what size it comes in at. In point marker styles, C3D treats those blocks like this:

To create the point marker from a block, C3D draws a "rectangle" around the outer reaches of the block, and scales that down to whatever you specify, say 0.1", and uses that as the point marker. The fact that they were drawn bigger doesn't matter.

There are several options for size. 

1.) Use drawing scale

2.) Use fixed scale

3.) Use size in absolute units

4.) Use size relative to screen

Try a fixed scale, or absolute units.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

@ownemull, that's what I was getting at.  I'm sure all 4 blocks are set to the same scale.

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 12
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: owenmull

That makes sense, so how would I set it up to be scaled per drawing scale
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 8 of 12
sjg
Advisor

Messed around with the scaling of the point style, believe I got it to work.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 9 of 12
randcdavidson

Why not use description key parameters to size the point styles for you? Here is an example of two of my tree description:

TREE 4 25 WILLOW

TREE 3 15 COTTONWOOD

I then use parameters to size based upon that, make sure Apply to X-Y is selected in the desc key.

When the desc key reads the TR* it displays on screen the diameter of 15' for the COTTONWOOD and 25' for the WILLOW. Both blocks are the same size until the parameter gets hold of them.

Message 10 of 12
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: randcdavidson

That is how we have it set it up for all projects where the one symbol is scaled by the size of the tree, but for this project the company were doing it for their standards are that they have 4 symbols for coniferous trees, each for a range in tree trunk size. One symbol being for 1-12 inch, one for 13-23 and so on. The same with deciduous trees.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: randcdavidson

Hi, I have been given the honor...we'll see about that. I have been thrown to the lions and have to swim. My question is how did you handle the scaling factor for the tree scale....

Dtree $1 = Type

Dtree $1 $2 = Size (is this right to scale a symbol.

Dtree $1 $2

I am very new user to creating description keys and such any help would be great

Thanks

Namdac

Message 12 of 12
wfberry
in reply to: Anonymous

The very first thing you need to do is start a new post.  Hi-jacking an existing one is not welcomed.

Thanks,

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report