Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description Keys and Layers

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
qnologi
683 Views, 12 Replies

Description Keys and Layers

Within 2016 Civil 3D, I imported some points using a Description Key Set, and everything "seems" to work, except them being put on the correct Layer. The Description Key Set I'm using is putting them on the right Styles and into the right Point Group, just not into the right Layer. Granted some of the points are being put onto the correct Styles, Point Group and Layer. I'm new to this so please help... The ones that are not working, are coming in on Layer V-Node, but when I update them into their Point Group, they adhere to their assigned Styles, go into their Point Group, but stay on Layer V-Node. I also would like to know how to change the default Layer that they are coming in on.

Much appreciated...

TLQ : )

qnologi
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
rl_jackson
in reply to: qnologi

I would say this is working as expected.

You'll notice on the point creation dialogue that your default layer is probably set V-NODE so all points not have a defined description key will reside on that layer.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
qnologi
in reply to: rl_jackson

You were correct on the V-NODE Point Creation Box, although, what I was trying to state was that I have points assigned to with Code, Styles, Layers and Point Groups that when brought into the drawing they merely come in on Layer V-NODE, yet when I push or update them within their Point Group, they turn into their assigned Style and stay on Layer V-NODE. I'm wanting all my points to listen as it were to my Description Keys Set and come in correctly...

Please Help...  Smiley Happy

qnologi
Message 4 of 13
rl_jackson

Then that information is possible coming from the style being used.  I use what is call the Layer 0 method. Where the Point Marker and Label are set to Layer 0 and then the key will send it to its appropriate layer. By setting to 0 it allows the Key to push it to any layer. But if you marker or label are set to another layer it will show like it is on that layer.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
qnologi

I tried putting my Styles to Layer Zero and the same thing happens.

qnologi
Message 6 of 13
qnologi

Could you explain the function of the * after the Code and whether or not you can have spaces etc...

qnologi
Message 7 of 13
rl_jackson

The star is the wildcard, meaning it can be anything after that.

if your code is WM* u could have a Water Meter coded to come in an at the same time code a waterline to draw as well by using WM W1. and WM would be a point symbol that would go to layer WATER.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Pointdump

Q,

"I'm wanting all my points to listen as it were to my Description Keys Set and come in correctly..."

In Description Keys, select the Layer check box in the Layer Column. Click in the cell to open the Layer Selection dialog box. Select a layer. Now any point that gets snagged by that Deskey will take on that layer, no matter what layer the default is set to elsewhere.

Deskeys2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 9 of 13
qnologi
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave,

How you have shown is exactly how I have it. Though, some of my points are coming in fine using that method, others come in on the Layer assigned to "Create a Point" such as V-NODE, then after pushing them, or updating them into their proper Point Group, the ones on Layer V-NODE take on their respective Point Style, yet stay on Layer V-NODE. This is not my intention for the Point to take on its proper Layer after pushing them, or updating them into their proper Point Group. On another topic... I got a response to my question of the use of the * after the Code "Raw" but, what I was needing to know is it necessary to have character directly after the *. I have Code "Raw" like ASB FM*, ASB WTR*, ASB STM*, would the ASB FM* grab a Point with a Description of ASB FM PS4, or is the * intended only to grab that next character after the M, and being that it is a "Space" then PS4, it won't see it to grab it?

Any help on both of these matters would much appreciated... : )

TLQ

qnologi
Message 10 of 13
rl_jackson

You can not put the space between ASB and FM you will need ASBFM, no spaces in description keys.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
jmayo-EE

You have some good advice here. If you want the desc key layer to remain, set all point styles and label styles to use layer zero.

You did not see any changes to the layers since you did not re-apply the description keys or reimport. I'm not sure which is required, the 1st is easier.

Select all of the points, right-click and choose apply desciption keys.

Also note that if you have mult desc key sets you need to make sure the one you want to use is cuurent.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Pointdump

Q,

"...some of my points are coming in fine using that method, others come in on the Layer assigned to "Create a Point" such as V-NODE..."

I don't know what to tell you on that, other than I'll test it if you like. Please post your drawing with Deskeys set up and a Point File to "bring in".

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 13
qnologi

Thank you both for your help.

Smiley Very Happy

TLQ

qnologi

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report