Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DESCRIPTION KEY SET

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
CADEngr2014
1801 Views, 6 Replies

DESCRIPTION KEY SET

Hello,

I am using Civil 3D 2015.

I am using a survey databse and description key sets.

I have a description key set code: B-[1-3] with accompanying point and label styles.  I would like to add a series of codes on a single line but have not been successfull to get this to work.  Such as B-[1-3], B-[9-13], etc.  I find it time consuming to have a new line in the decription key set for each specific code when the styles and layers are the same.  Is it possible to use a single code line in the description key set to handle an iteration of codes as decribed above or does a single line work for only one code entry?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: CADEngr2014

If I understand what your saying correctly, description keys have nothing to do with linework. You use keys for symbols only.

Linework is controled by the Figure Prefix.

You can have descriptions and linework codes in the same point description. But the description key must be first.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
CADEngr2014
in reply to: rl_jackson

Thank you for your response.  My post is regarding Description Key Sets only, not Figure Frefix or Linework Code Sets, etc.

My question pertains to the Description Key Set Code.  My understanding is: a code must match the raw description of the point in order for there to be a match.  If there is a match, then the point style, point label styl, description format, layer, etc is applied to the survey point data.  However, If I want to assign a particular point style and label style for a particular point series, not necessarily consecutive points, then I have to have mutliple codes to address the different description match I am looking for.  For instance: If I have a point series that is described as P-1,2,3,4,5,6....50 but I only want P-3,4,5 and P-25,26,27 to have a different point style, label style, layer, description format from the other points then I will need two different codes to assign this.  My five codes to address my situation would look like P-[3-5], P-[25-27], P-[1-2], P-[6-24], and P-[28-50] (see first five rows in image attached).  However, since only the first two and the last three codes have the same styles, it seems redundant to have separate rows of Code for each.  Instead, I would like to know if it is possible to have a Code with a series so the five lines of Codes would be reduced to two lines (see last two rows in image attached)?

Message 4 of 7
rl_jackson

If you want to do that with different codes, then you can use point groups to set up a particular styles and use the override check box to do this.

WIthin the point group you can specify multiple descriptions based on the raw description or any number of options.

override.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
CADEngr2014
in reply to: rl_jackson

CADEngr2014,

Thanks for that response.  So my understanding is this: While trying-out the Overrides tab in the point group, changing the raw description override appears to just filter for a particular raw description, not assign a new description.  So if I need a different description assigned to points, then I need to add it thru the style.  The "Override" appears to allow the point group to function while the description key set is in place.  Is my understanding correct or am I not getting the full picture here?

Message 6 of 7
rl_jackson

I was under an assumption that you were tyring to override a particular set of points, either by number or description and wanted them to look different (change style or label), it may be difficult to change layer if your description key sends the data to a particular layer, and it also depends on how your template settings/style layer settings are setup within the drawing. I use layer 0 for almost everything and push the points to a default layer (V-Node or V-Node-CTRL) this is description dependent, basically if there is no DSCKEY it goes to V-Node, all other go to there particular layer as assigned by the DSCKEY. No the Point Group overrides will allow you to change/override any of the override options, but I don't believe it will allow the layer change unless the new override style is set as such. By setting points to Layer ) it makes changes easier, and you can also select the points within the Override Group and push them to a specific layer if necessary.

In your prior post you spoke of an image, but none was shown or attached. The attached pdf has some neat info on setting point styles based on different situations, and yours may be one of those. Also, depending on your overall use of your existing problem, point groups may be the best way to control there look/style/lable vs. dsckeys (that depends on the amount of data and how often your going to need the situation.)

If you have a drawing, or sample of what your looking to do or how you would like the end result to appear feel free to send it and I'll see what I can come up with.

If you want you can send me an email at rick.jackson1013 at gmail.com and I'll see what I can come up with. Have C3D13 & 14 but there shouldn't be a major issue if your using 15, I've opened those files as well.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Pointdump

CE,

"...changing the raw description override appears to just filter for a particular raw description, not assign a new description."

Check.

"So if I need a different description assigned to points, then I need to add it thru the style."

Description Keys will automatically change a "raw" description to a "full" description. Other than that, Edit Points(right-click the point group) is the only way to change a point's description.

"The 'Override' appears to allow the point group to function while the description key set is in place."

Check.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report