Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description Key Set - Hide the Linework Code Set codes

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
cbaildon001
1452 Views, 11 Replies

Description Key Set - Hide the Linework Code Set codes

Can I use the description key set to not show point parameters with particular characters?

I use the Linework Code Set codes to control survey figures and so the linework codes show up in the Raw descriptions. That's great for editing survey data.

But when the survey is passed on to the designers I want to show a full description that does not show the linework codes.

For example when surveying a road culvert I will code the first point,

"CULV B 32 600" - (CULV is the code for culvert, B is to begin the figure, 32 is the culvert number and 600 is the diameter)

The second point is coded,

"CULV 32 600"

I want to show full descriptions of "CULV 32 600" for both points, ie I don't want a parameter that is a "B" to show up.

Can I use the description key set to not show point parameters with particular characters?

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SethHall
in reply to: cbaildon001

I am pretty sure this can be accomplished by using the description keys to "transform" the raw description into a desired format. From the HELP:

This example shows how to use description key parameters to both expand the raw description for a point and to scale a point symbol.

NoteThe following paragraphs are intended to help you understand this example. They do not provide a complete overview of description keys. For an overview of description keys, see Understanding Description Keys. Before beginning this example, you should complete the example that shows you how to create a basic description key. For more information, see Example: Creating a Basic Description Key.

When you create a point, the description you enter at the command line is the raw description for the point. The raw description can consist of one element, such as TREE, or it can consist of more than one element, such as TREE OAK 7. The leading element in a raw description is compared against description key codes during description key matching. The remaining elements in the raw description are called parameters. You can use parameters to create a full description for a point or to rotate or scale a point.

In this example, you create a description key that translates a raw description with the format TREE <tree type> <tree size> into a full description that reads: <tree size> inch <tree type> tree, and you will scale the point symbol using the <tree size> value. For example, the raw description TREE OAK 7 will be translated to a full description 7 inch OAK tree. The point symbol will be scaled using a value of 7.

In the raw description TREE OAK 7, OAK is the first parameter and 7 is the second parameter. For more information, see Description Key Format .

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 12
jmayo-EE

Should you be able to do this with styles? One style shows raw desc for survey calcs and override the point groups label style for plotting the full descriptions.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
jmayo-EE

Sry, I see that you would need two formats to do that.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Well actually I think it can be done with one format for the full desc. When you do the survey work just show the raw desc.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
cbaildon001

Thanks for the replies, but I know how show or not show different parameters in the full description based on their position in the raw description. At the moment the format of the full description for culverts is "CULVERT $1 $2", ie it will include the first and second parameters no matter what they are.

What I want to know is, how do I hide (or maybe show) parameters based on their content? I don't want to see Linework Code Set parameters in the full description.

I also currently use style overrides in point groups so that it is easy to switch between seeing the raw description for surveyors and the full description for other users.

Cheers

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 7 of 12
jmayo-EE

"CULV B 32 600" - (CULV is the code for culvert, B is to begin the figure, 32 is the culvert number and 600 is the diameter)

The second point is coded,

"CULV 32 600"

If the raw desc's are not the same format as above I don't know if this can be done. If I am not mistaken the C linework code is for CONTINUE. It is not needed in most cases but if you do use it your raw formats will match and your keys should work. If I stated things correctly your second key should be,

CULV C 32 600

I believe this is all good for fieldbooks but if you use ascii/text files you don't need the B or C commands and both keys would be,

CULV 32 600

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
cbaildon001
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks John.

I think you are right. They only way to acheive what I want is to put another parameter in the raw description of the second point (and it could be C(ontinue) or anything not in the Linework Code Set). Then I could have a full description that leaves out the first parameter ie. CULVERT $2 $3.

I'll add some more control over full descriptions to the wish list, but I won't hold my breath.

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 9 of 12
BrianHailey

Don't use a space to indicate a linework code. Use something else, like a - or a ^ or perhaps even a @. This way, your description would look like:

CULV@B 32 600

for the beginning of the culvert and

CULV 32 600

for the rest of the culvert shots. The description key parameters will still key off the spaces so you won't need to change any formatting for the keys ($1 is 32 and $2 is 600 for both points).

Problem solved. Smiley Happy

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 12
BrianHailey
in reply to: BrianHailey

Well, I figured since I was being so cocky, I should actually test it out and see if it works and it does with one condition, I had to change the "Field code escape" to <space>. If you don't do that, it doesn't seem to work.

http://screencast.com/t/d0a2KDjaPFR 

And no, I didn't have a figure prefix set up for CULV so the "Automatic begin on figure prefix match" didn't come into play (although that might be another alternative).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 12
jmayo-EE

Way cool. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
cbaildon001

Thanks Brian. I have accepted your solution.

I never understood what the purpose of "Feature/Code delimeter" and "Field code escape" were until now.

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report