Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Description key code for all points not matching any other codes?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
aewatson
859 Views, 4 Replies

Description key code for all points not matching any other codes?

We are using Civil 3d 2010.

In a description key code file, I would assume that a description key code of simply * would capture all points, but it seems this code gets ignored. How do we create a key code that captures all points?

For example, if I want to take advantage of the hierarchical processing of DKC files to assign layers, point styles, label styles, etc, I can theoretically create a 'design' DKC file that makes all points, regardless of their desciptions, to be sized relatively, and then move that DKC file to the top of the DKC file list.

I know this can be accomplished through the "_all points" point group, but I want to be able to control point layers as well, and as far as I know, neither point groups, point styles, nor label styles affect the insertion layer of a point, but DKC files do.

Thanks,

Andrew

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jonathan
in reply to: aewatson

Good question I'd like to know also.

Message 3 of 5
sboon
in reply to: jonathan

If I remember correctly this is actually an old bug.  A Desc Key of * doesn't seem to work.  What you can do instead is set a filter that includes everything except a nonsense code.

Try a Key with a code like "~xyz"  The tilde character means match anything except for the code xyz, so it should apply to everything else.

Another thing to consider is that point descriptions which don't match anything in the DescKey will fall to the default point settings.  In our template we have a default for point style, label style and point layer so that points with bad descriptions end up with those settings.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 5
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: sboon

We have a description key set that we use to catch non standard codes that are not picked up by our survey code keyset.

The code we have that catches all codes is ~?

We assign a label style and point style that highlights that the point has an unrecognised code.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 5 of 5
jonathan
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Thanks.  The ~ character worked great.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report