Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEM file

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
bandit1965
1232 Views, 9 Replies

DEM file

I have a DEM file, (or that is what I have been led to believe) it is in space delimited txt format. It contains breakline and point data. Every time I try and add it to a surface I get an invalid DEM file error. Can anyone give me a hint as to why and how I can correct this. I am using Civil 3D 2013.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: bandit1965

A lot of the entities out there have changed there file format for there DEM's and they don't work in Civil 3D anymore.  TNRIS is one of these entities.  I use Global Mapper to fix the file and export it back out as a DEM.  If it's not too large, you can email it to trogers@tcadsys.com and I will fix it for you.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 10
bandit1965

I have shipped it to you, work your magic.

Message 4 of 10
ToddRogers-WPM

Ok.  I didn't read this very well the first go round, and apologies for that.  You need to import this as points, not attach it to surface as a DEM.  It looks like the point file format is PENZD.  Then add the Point Group _All points to the surface.  Works fine.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 10

@trogers wrote:

Ok.  I didn't read this very well the first go round, and apologies for that.  You need to import this as points, not attach it to surface as a DEM.  It looks like the point file format is PENZD.  Then add the Point Group _All points to the surface.  Works fine.

If the file is very large, dont' import it into Civil 3D as points, just add it directly to the surface as a point file. Works much better that way for very large data sets.

Obviously, since Todd recommended importing it as a points and then using adding it to the surface as a point group, this particular file probably isn't very large, but it's good for others to know about if they didn't already.

Is it just me or do I sound like I'm babbling?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 10

It was fairly small and came in easily. Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 7 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: BrianHailey

You're not babbling. 🙂

I just see you providing an important public service announcment. That is a very important tip for large data sets.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
bandit1965
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks for the help, evertyhing is working great. I made that a lot harder than it seemed.

Message 9 of 10
BrianHailey

What did you do to get the data into the surface? Import points? Point group? Add point file? Enquiring minds want to know.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 10

It was a rather small file, so just a basic import of the points using PENZD did the trick.  The file had an extension of points.dem.txt.  So it was really just an ASCII file, not a DEM file.

I gave you props on my blog about the double click addition Smiley Wink

http://civil3dj.wordpress.com/

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report