Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define Planar Surface by selecting two points

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
neilyj666
494 Views, 11 Replies

Define Planar Surface by selecting two points

I have several pads to create and ask if anyone has a lisp/dll that will create a temporary grading surface with the user inputing  the starting point and level, direction and gradient.

Thanks

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

The copy create grading looks pretty good. Not useful for your application?

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
neilyj666

Not sure will take a look.

I was thinking of something that was on au online 2008 ( caffeinated grading or something) which had some vba routines for this very application

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
Jeff_M

The WorkingPlanes.dvb is shipped with C3D. In 2012 on Win7x64 it's found here:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012\Sample\Civil 3D API\COM\Vba\SurfaceWorkingPlane

Now, if you don't want to install the VBA enabler (as I do not, due to perfromance issues) then it could be ported to a .NET DLL.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 12
neilyj666

Thanks Jeff - I'd prefer the dll over VBA but my knowledge of doing this approximately zero.....Smiley Sad

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Jeff_M

@neilyj666 wrote:

I'd prefer the dll over VBA 

Stay tuned.....Smiley Happy

EESignature
Message 7 of 12
ralstogj

Jeff/Neil

I had a look at converting to vb.net over the weekend got most of the way but got stuck at the optional parameters being used in the vba and how to deal with them in .net. I you want the code Jeff let me know.

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 8 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: ralstogj

It'd be great if you could both come up with the solution....Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Justin - my original request was prompted by one of your blog posts and the AU paper it referred to. The various grading scenarios described in the paper are very typical of the kind of tasks I need to do very regularly (crane hardstand pads for wind farm developments) and if these vba routines were recoded and could be developed into DLL friendly code that'd be great...Smiley Happy

I'd like to look at this sort of thing myself but I'd be starting from scratch and I don't really have the time to devote to it....Smiley Sad

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: ralstogj

I somehow thought we both might be pursuing this over the weekend, Justin. As you know, I'm not much of a VB.NET person (I can usually read it, and even make minor edits) so I've been working on a port to C#. I'm about 75% done, I think. Not sure if I will be able to complete it today, though.

EESignature
Message 10 of 12
ralstogj

No need to hurry on my part.

I know the feeling you are not meant to sit in front of the PC over the weekend as well as at work.

Let me know now you get pass the optional parameters in the function Promptfor3dpoint as in vb.net anyway you have to declare the optional pararmeter = nothing in the function so it will compile which seems to clear the variable in memory even thou you are passing something into the function. I have been thinking I will have to rewrite this part using method overloading instead of the optional parameters.

Once converting I thought the next step could be to add a couple of extra functions to create a working cutfill surface with a userdefined contour at zero elevation and a extraction function to give these as daylight lines. It would be interesting to see the results for example on mitred corners or between two gradings on a featurline that target different surfaces any way I digress. 

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 11 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

I just finished testing this in  C3D2010, C3D2011, & C3D2012. The last 2 are the 64bit versions, so this is untested on a 32 bit install. I will be posting the complete Visual Studio 2008 C# code on the Customization forum in just a few minutes. See the post there for full particulars.

EESignature
Message 12 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: Jeff_M

This is looking good - further comments in the Customization forum.....

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report