Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default settings for New Survey DB? Create Survey Query?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
doni49
260 Views, 5 Replies

Default settings for New Survey DB? Create Survey Query?

I have C3D 2014.  I'd like to set it up so that when we first create a new survey DB, it already has a Survey Query defined.  Specifically, I want to set it to include all featurelines that have BREAKLINE set to Yes.

The template file we use for creating new surveys has a surface already defined that includes all points in the "Ground Points" point group.  I'd like to take it a step further and automatically include all featurelines that have BREAKLINE = YES.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: doni49

Hi Don,

For the Survey Database you'll want to make sure you get the UNITS set as desired if you haven't already done so.

International Feet are the C3D SDB default units.

The (Feature Lines) Survey Figures are controlled by the Figure Prefix Database.

Pretty straight forward adding the figures based on survey code "name" column and then set breakline yes/no etc.

Once it's all set up the Linework Code Set and Figure Prefix database can be network shared.

The Path's to these files and also the "Survey Settings" file are found in the Survey User Settings dialog.

A xxxx.sdb_set Survey Settings file path can also be specified here.

See this thread for more on Survey Settings if needed.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Jay_B

Hi Jay,

We've already got all that set up (we've had it working for a few years).  When we import our survey data, it automatically generates the majority of the linework and points.  We have to do minimal tweaking there.  Some featurelines are set up to have the BREAKLINE setting = YES and others are set to NO.  In 2012, after importing the survey data, the surface would already be defined to include the Ground Points point group.  But we'd have to manually add the breaklines.

We just switched from 2012 to 2014 a few months ago.  And I see they added a "Survey Query" and that said query can list all the featurelines with Breakline = YES.  Add to that the fact that I see that the surface definition includes the option to include the results of a survey query.

So the only thing left is to get a newly created survey DB to already have this survey query defined.  But I've been hunting and hunting for that with no success.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 6
doni49

Well scratch that.

I just noticed that although the surface definition can include a survey query, it's specific to one particular Survey DB.

So I guess this won't work after all.

Hmmpph.

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 6
Jay_B

Are you currently using Survey Figures?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes.  The survey figures get created properly.  The ones that should be breaklines have the Breakline setting = YES.

But then I sort the figures so that the "Breaklines" are at the top and then I Add to surface as breaklines.  I was trying to figure out a way to automate that the way Ground Points are already part of the surface definition.  When we import a survey, any point with the raw code GR gets added to the Ground Points Point Group.  The surface already has that as part of the definition.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report