Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Point File Formats

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bradridenour5157
693 Views, 9 Replies

Default Point File Formats

We installed C3d 2012 a few months ago. When importing or exporting point I need to select the point file format each time. In previous versions, since we almost always use the same format, once you selected the format and imported/exported points it was selected by default the next time you imported/exported point. Since switching to C3d 2012 we have has issues of wrong format being selected for export (probably import also, but those are probably caught by the user themself).

I have tried creating a new format starting the name with an underscore as we do with the most common styles so that it would be listed at the top of the list. This did not work. It seem to me that the only solution is to delete all other formats to insure the correct format is seclcted. This will cause a problem on those occassions when another format is required.

I would appreciate any help regaurding this issue.

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
wfberry
in reply to: bradridenour5157

Perhaps if I say "I don't think so.", someone will prove me wrong.

Bill

Message 3 of 10
jmayo-EE
in reply to: wfberry

I don't think C3D ever had a default point file format either. It has always defaulted to the top of the list for us.

If the users can't check the format first then deleting the excess items is the only way I can think of. You could set up another template with the remaining formats and use that template when needed but two templates can be a huge pain if you need to constantly update both.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
wfberry
in reply to: bradridenour5157

You can copy and rename the formats, perhaps placing something like this at the beginning "ASK JOE BEFORE USING...

Leave the regular format name as is.

Bill

Message 5 of 10

Bump

Message 6 of 10

To be clear... you just updated to Civil 3D 2012? Not 2022 or something newer?
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 7 of 10

The import dialog has always shown the available formats defined in the Settings tab. As others have suggested, most companies only use ONE point file format. Just because there are many formats included with the default template does not mean you need to keep all of them. Use what works for your company.

I know this doesn't answer how to set the DEFAULT format in the dialog, but sometimes in Civil 3D the answer isn't as straight forward.
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Message 8 of 10

@Kevin.Spear, thanks for the replies.  I am in Civil 2024 but the issue has persisted since 2012.  I should have noted this.  I have now opened a new question for 2024.

Message 9 of 10

Your comment show that you didn't note the date of the original post.   C3D 2022 was not available in 2012.

Message 10 of 10

understood... but I was wondering why the new posts to an old thread...

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report