Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Pipe Network Layer (Not the structures or pipes, the network)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
bvandamm
1716 Views, 11 Replies

Default Pipe Network Layer (Not the structures or pipes, the network)

I am using Civil 3D 2013. I work in an office where we have a few different flavors of Autocad (LT, MEP, regular vanilla AutoCAD etc...) and versions (2010 LT, 2011, 2012, 2013).

For the most part there isn't much inter-office drawing coordinate that has to happen, but there is the occasional project where multiple disciplines (Structural, Mechanical and Civil Site) have to share drawings.

The specific problem I am having is when I share my 2013 Civil 3D drawing with a user using 2011 MEP. He gets the typical rectangle for the proxy objects (in my case, my pipe networks for sanitary and storm drain). We've tried downloading and installing various object enablers, but there doesn't seem to be one for a 2013 to 2011 scenario. So I setup my parts to be on layers that he can just turn off. HOWEVER... the actual pipe network (not the structures, parts, labels etc... the network itself) ends up on layer 0. For this specific project, I do the old (ssget "x" '((8 . "0")) search to select all objects on layer 0, add those objects to a selection set (pselect), then in my modify objects dialog I filter for pipe networks, then change the layer to something other then 0.

While this is a workaround that works for me, what I really want to know is if there is a way that I can change the default layer that the network (again, not pipes, structures or text, the actual network) so I don't have to use the workaround. Any thoughts?

Brad

P.S. It's killing me that I had to create a new Autodesk login and now all my AutoCAD "street cred" is lost 😞

"The source of expertise is not in the memorization
of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough
understanding of the fundamental concepts on
which it is based." - Dan Appleman
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
emelendez
in reply to: bvandamm

I believe the setting you are looking for falls under the default styles settings. in your toolspace/settings tab, right click on top of the drawing name and go to "edit drawing settings" this will open a dialog box. go to the object layers tab. this is where you set the default layer that civil 3d objects get placed on. Hope this fixes your dilema.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 3 of 12
KirkNoonan

Having never been on the receiving end of any exported files, I'm curious as to what part of the pipe network remains visible after you turn off the pipes, structures and labels. Is there something similar to a survey network that shows up with the proxy objects?

Message 4 of 12
bvandamm
in reply to: KirkNoonan

That's what's weird about it. In civil 3D, there is nothing visible, but only selectable with . It's like they are placing a "Network Object" that is on layer 0. The object name is called "AECC_NETWORK"  (see attached). And the proxy object that displays on the the older system is a bounding box of the entire network. I'm not seeing where I can change the default layer for that specific object, just the structures and pipes of a network. The only way I'm able to select it is using LISP (ssget "x" '((0 . "AECC_NETWORK"))). I suppose I can just make a routine to select them for me and change the layer they go on.

Message 5 of 12
emelendez

I neglected to mention that changining those settings will not change the layer that the existing objects are placed on. it will change the layer that newly created objects exist on. this is one of those setting that should be set before creating civil 3d objects so they will be placed on the layer you want the object to exist on. its kind of a pain because the style also dictates the layer the "subcomponents" are placed on. So you can have the pipe object be placed on layer A but then you can have the centerline placed on layer B, the interior walls placed on layer C the exterior walls placed on layer D......it gets confusing at first until you understand how it all works.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 6 of 12
bvandamm
in reply to: emelendez

Yes, I am aware of that... However, I am not seeing a setting for the network itself. Just the different components.

Message 7 of 12
KirkNoonan

How are you sharing the file, etransmit? If so, you might try the ‘With Exploded AEC Objects’  in the setup file type.

Message 8 of 12
bvandamm
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Oh, that's the other piece of information I didn't share (my bad). I was hoping to keep the civil 3D functionality available so I wasn't using the export option, just mearly a "Save As" so that the proxy objects would remain intact. I want my cake and I want to eat it too!!! lol 🙂

Message 9 of 12
mathewkol

You should set PROXYGRAPHICS to 1. Then save. This will allow your 2011 user to see your pipes. I don't believe there is a layer for a "network" object since it's normally not visisble.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 12
bvandamm
in reply to: mathewkol

Good suggestion. I just tried it (both systems had proxygraphics set to 1), still no joy (he's just getting the bounding box for my C3D objects). I'm thinking at this point I just need to write a quick routine that will select the network object and stick it on a new layer. And if he needs to see my pipe networks and contours and such, I'll have to do an export with no AEC objects (or convince the company to upgrade him to the new version 😉 )

Thanks for the input everybody!

Message 11 of 12
MikeEvansUK

Revit doesn't like civil objects (pipes a major offender) Bad workaround is try exploding the network twice then export acis to sat file. Best we have for now unless you can use other formats like landxml.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 12 of 12
troma

The existance of a "Network Object" in the drawing is something you can verify.  In a new drawing, create a network but don't put any pipes or structures on it.  Now do a 'Quick Select' from the filter on properties.  You will get a message "One object not selected".  That 'object' is the pipe network.  Not a pipe, not a structure, but the network.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report