Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Layers

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
randyowens3203
2535 Views, 6 Replies

Default Layers

I am creating feature lines that I want on a specific layer. On the "Create Feature Line" dialog box, I create a style and assign this new layer. also on the dialog box, I assign the layer again. When I draw the feature line, I find that it is automatically placed on the default layer assigned in Settings, Edit Drawing Settings, Object Layers tab, Feature Line. Is there any way to override these default layers, or turn off this function? It seems to be time consuming to have to go to these settings each time you create an object and change the default layer, especiallly when you just assigned that layer TWICE when creating the object. Or, go back after creating the object and change it to the layer you want. Am I missing something here?

Randy A. Owens
Southland Engineering, Inc.
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: randyowens3203

A feature line (like most other C3D objects) acts like a block. The object itself is on some layer, and the components that make up the objects (lines, arcs, etc) can have their own layer.

The former is the layer in the "Create Feature Lines" dialog, the latter is the layer you set in the FL Style (could be different for plan, profile, section)

What is wrong with setting the default layer, as you describe and just creating the objects on that layer?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 7
randyowens3203
in reply to: rkmcswain

I need the feature lines on different layers, so that I can freeze the one's I do not want to project ot section views.

Randy A. Owens
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
Message 4 of 7
sjg
Advisor

You could also create a style that won't display in section view and instead of turning them off just change the style.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 5 of 7
jmayo-EE

You can also use your Object Layers (Drawing Settongs, Object Layers tab) to define a new layer for each new site. Then each time you create a new site for FL's you get a new layer. As an example, FL-*- as a prefix for layer zero and a site named FG will place FL's on a new layer named FL-FG-0.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

This seems like a design flaw to me. If I assign a layer twice when creating a feature line, then that should override the default layer. It gives you the impression that you are doing this, because you uncheck the radio button for the default layer. Seems unnecessarily over complicated to me.

Randy A. Owens
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013
Message 7 of 7

I have found a work around. If you select a default layer in the Create Feature Lines dialog box, it is ignored. However, if you set your current layer to the one you want to use, and then select the Use Current Layer radio button, it works. Go figure.

Randy A. Owens
Win 7 64BIT
C3D 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report