Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daylight

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
romanshirshov
541 Views, 4 Replies

Daylight

Hi

I am new to AutoCAD Civil 3D. Just wondering if anybody can give me a good definition of the term "daylight" please.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: romanshirshov

In civil engineering this term typically means where a proposed feature meets existing ground.

As in where does my cut slope see daylight, or where does the outfall pipe see daylight. A fill slope also daylight but it was never really in the dark so the anecdote doesn't fit quite so neatly.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
fcernst
in reply to: romanshirshov

1. Start at a desired beginning point elevation that can be either above or below a certain surface. 
  2. Extend a line at whatever desired slope until there is an intesection with the desired surface.
  3. The surface intersection point at the end of this desired slope is the Daylight point.

I believe the derivation is from an agricultural origin for draining fields through embankments. "Run this pipe to daylight in order to drain this area".

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 5
romanshirshov
in reply to: fcernst

Fred

You have been very helpfull.

Thanks

Roman Shirshov-Menzel

Graduate Civil Engineer

Message 5 of 5
romanshirshov
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks Joseph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report