Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAYLIGHT PROBLEMS

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Razzmatazz
4856 Views, 8 Replies

DAYLIGHT PROBLEMS

Hi, i've created road assembly with a ditch subassembly on each side. The ditch is trapezoidal with a width of 1m and a depth of 1m. The side slope is 1:4 and the backslope is 1:3 The problem is that the ditch backslope extends upwards beyond the existing ground yet i want it to stop at the existing ground. How can i accomplish this? Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ralstogj
in reply to: Razzmatazz

hi I do not have Civil3d open but does the assembly have a multi intercept setting if this is set to greater than one the daylight will continue to intercept the existing ground surface a number of times
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 9
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Which daylight sub-assembly are you using? Did you build your own using links? Is the surface set as the daylight target? Sometimes when I'm playing around with the corridor, I have to remember to check my surface targets.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 4 of 9
Razzmatazz
in reply to: ralstogj

Hi, thanks for your reply but non of my sub assemblies have a multiple intercept. i have lane, shoulder, ditch and daylight general sub assemblies.

Message 5 of 9
Razzmatazz
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Lisa, thanks for replying.........am using the daylight general sub assembly which i have attached to the ditch subassembly. No, i didn't use links n the surface is is set as the daylight target. When i view the sections, the side ditch backslope line stops somewhere above the existing ground then the  daylight subassembly goes back down to intercept the existing ground, creating small bumps at the end of my sections on each side.............can i make the ditch backslope stop whenever it intersects the existing ground? or which is the best way to go about it? 

Message 6 of 9
sboon

DaylightGeneral includes a series of up to 8 links with fixed dimensions that are used in cut to build the ditch section, before the daylight link is added to the end.  Based on your description I would guess that you have too many ditch links in use, so the sub is creating a fixed foreslope, ditch bottom and backslope.  Edit the parameters to include only the pieces necessary to get to the bottom outside edge of the proposed ditch.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 9
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

We found the DaylightGeneral not to be flexible enough for us so we prefer to use links for our ditch creation. We also use conditional sub-assemblies. See attached pic. This one was for 4:1 specifically, we have another that's variable.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 8 of 9
Razzmatazz
in reply to: sboon

Steve, thanks man, but I made sure that the 8 links had slopes n widths of zero since i already have a ditch sub assembly. I only used the daylight general for the intersection with the existing ground surface but the outside slope link of the ditch goes up above my surface then the daylight sub assembly forms a link from the top of the ditch back to existing ground........................makes me wish the ditch slope link on the outside was a daylight link.

Message 9 of 9
Razzmatazz
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Lisa, Thanks! Your method gave lots of insight into the issue, it can be used in different scenarios to solve numerous problems..... I think more people should use generic links and conditional subassemblies. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report