AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Employee
dana.probert
Message 11 of 18 (1,197 Views)

Re: daylight cut and fill transition missing

04-17-2012 12:20 PM in reply to: michael.jones.86

OK, so there is an easy fix to this. I still like the idea of treating it more as a true transition because your ditch just POW appears, but this will get you started.

Civil 3D connects _indentical_ point codes as you move up station. Since you used a generic link for daylight in your fill condition, they didn't have identical point codes. (P2 for the generic link and Daylight for the multisurface)

1. Go into each of your LinkSlopetoSurface subassemblies and change the P2 point code to Daylight. (make sure you use capital D) You can do this on the Parameters tab of the Subassembly properties dialog.

2. Go into corridor properties and check the "connect extra points" box on the Feature Line tab. This will join feature lines of identical point codes when it finds more than one identical code up station.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Contributor
RoadDesignDan
Message 12 of 18 (1,197 Views)

04-17-2012 12:20 PM in reply to: michael.jones.86

Here you go, make sure that your "Connect exta points" is checked and add a Marker Point with the "Daylight" point code and it will do what you want it too.

Dan Tremblay
Senior Design Technologist
City of Oshawa
Engineering Services
Contributor
michael.jones.86
Message 13 of 18 (1,194 Views)

04-17-2012 12:26 PM in reply to: dana.probert

That's got it.  Thanks very much both of you.  You guys are awesome!!!

Contributor
michael.jones.86
Message 14 of 18 (1,179 Views)

04-17-2012 03:52 PM in reply to: michael.jones.86

Hey guys,

A kind of connected problem now... any idea how to get just the perimiter of the daylight cut and fill files to how as line work?  When i select the corridor and select 'feature lines from corridor' then pick the daylight (doesn't matter cut or fill), civil 3d doesn't output a feature line for the entire length of the road 'daylight cut and fill', it just outputs a feature line as far as the cut OR fill goes but not both at once.  Any idea how to get it to output 1 line for both daylight cut and daylight fill on the right side of the road (i would like it on the left too but we'll start iwth the right for now XD).

thanks in advance.

Employee
dana.probert
Message 15 of 18 (1,176 Views)

04-17-2012 03:54 PM in reply to: michael.jones.86

How about... making a corridor surface from the daylight with corridor extents as boundary. Then, either either make a style with the border shown the way you want the linework to look or extract the border?

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Contributor
michael.jones.86
Message 16 of 18 (1,174 Views)

04-17-2012 03:56 PM in reply to: dana.probert

yea this would work, but it doesn't really fit the scale of the project.  We're designing 95km or road so it would be a serious pain to have to generate a surface for the whole this and then look for anomolies in the road surface before changing the style.  Though i like the idea... anything more automatic?

Contributor
RoadDesignDan
Message 17 of 18 (1,158 Views)

04-18-2012 05:31 AM in reply to: dana.probert

If you turn off your featurelines for Daylight_Fill and Daylight_Cut, you will notice that the Daylight only feature line is there underneath..  If you look at the drawing i posted, you will see a _I_None feature line style.  Set your Daylight_Cut and Daylight_Fill to this style and you will only get the "Daylight" featureline for the length of the corridor.  Remember you can add a Marker Point to any part of the assembly and give it a point code of anything and then add a feature line to that point code and then extract that feature line.

Dan Tremblay
Senior Design Technologist
City of Oshawa
Engineering Services
Contributor
michael.jones.86
Message 18 of 18 (1,133 Views)

04-25-2012 03:32 PM in reply to: RoadDesignDan

Thanks Everyone for you comments!  I managed to solve my own problem in the mean time and then took it one step further to solve to feature line work problem.  Basically the subassembly I was using (DaylightThoughMultipleSurfaces) was extremely limited in that the same daylight code was used for of the three surfaces the ditch day lighted though.  This problem was solved by using the other subassemblies “LinkSlopeToSurface” connected head to tail.  This was extremely advantageous because this allowed me to change to code on each LinkSlopeToSurface subassembly and tell civil 3d that the three different daylight points are different (not the same as if I was using the original daylight subassembly). Except that the outside subassemblies on both the cut condition and fill condition, I coded the same so that the feature line work could be extracted and wouldn’t require any juggling latter.  This common coding worked extremely well later when I began pulling volumes out of the road prism because Civil 3d was able to isolate everything that was common and only analyze exactly what I asked it to do.  So the problem is solved.  Thanks again everyone.  You guys definitely gave be a good push in the right direction.  I also had a flip though ‘Mastering Civil 3d 2012’ which had some very useful bread crumb trails that helped immensely.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.