Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datum Shift from metric to feet

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
muncle56
387 Views, 6 Replies

Datum Shift from metric to feet

I have a drawing whose units and datum (NAD83 I'm assuming) are metric.  My main drawing is in feet so when I bring this metric drawing in it's the wrong size and comes in many miles away.  How do I deal with this?  Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MATRIX3DSURVEYS
in reply to: muncle56

Go to Map3D Workspace.  Task Pane > Map Explorer > Attach the Metric Source Drawing.

Right Click on Current Drawing > Coordinate System> Assign Proper Coordinate systems to both drawings.

Qurey Library>Current Qurey>Define> Location All > Draw

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 3 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: MATRIX3DSURVEYS

Except that Map won't query Civil 3D objects, only AutoCAD entities.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
muncle56

I don't see Map3D in my list of workspaces.

Message 5 of 7
tcorey

Let's get more details from you. Which program are you using for the attachment/import? AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D, AutoCAD LT, etc? Version?

Which flavor and version created the file you're attaching?

What is inside the drawing you are attaching/querying. Is it just dumb AutoCAD entities or is it Civil 3D objects like alignments, corridors, surfaces, etc?

Once we know that information we can give better advice.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 7
muncle56
in reply to: tcorey

I think I figured it out.  I had been trying to bring some line work into my autoCAD drawing from ArcMap.  ArcMap drawing was in meters.  Exporting it to CAD produced a .dwg in meters which is what I was trying to convert.  Instead I just used the "mapimport" command and brought the shapefile directly into CAD where it converted it for me and overlaid it nicely into my existing drawing..Thanks everyone for your help.

Message 7 of 7
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

Either go to the Workspace rolldown window and select Planning and Analysis. Or type MAPWSPACE on the comand line; the TASK PANE will be displayed which containes the Map Functions.

If there are C3D objects in the source drawing you can use the EXPLODE comand to convert them to ACAD objects.

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report