Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date and Time Stamp

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
martin888888
1108 Views, 8 Replies

Date and Time Stamp

I created a date and time stamp to put on a border in paper space.  The stamps were created using Mtext with a field.  The stamps do not update and show the created time and date.  Anyone know how to create a stamp that updates?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
troma
in reply to: martin888888

You can try the UPDATEFIELD command. Also read a little about the behaviour in the help. But I ended up using a DIESEL expression in the field, for one that updates with every regen.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 9

Hi,

>> The stamps do not update and show the created time and date

What field have you used for "created date and time"?

I'm just wondering what information AutoCAD should take to evaluate the date for "CREATED"? If it's a file depending information then even the template (as minimum basic for a new file) was created anytime before you say "_NEW".

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 9
troma
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The word 'and' is a little ambiguous.

I think you are understanding it to mean: The stamps do not update to show the created time and date

I understand it to mean: The stamps do not update (to current time & date) , but show the created time and date

Mark Green

Message 5 of 9
martin888888
in reply to: troma

Huh?  An Engligh lesson?

Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the responses guys.  I used the "created" field instead of the "plotted" field. 

Message 7 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Huh?  An Engligh lesson?

Not unusual as I'm not English native speaking, but in this case I guess it's my question that has to be reformulated:

What is the "creation date" for a drawing file? E.g. I copied an existing file, erase the geometry and started with that file ....or at least every new file is a clone of a template, and the template for 2014 was created from a template from 2013 ....

Now: What should the field "Creation date" contain? And as I don't know that + the help does not say that ==> I asked here.

(plus I wanted to know how the OP hopes what should be filled in that text)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 9
troma
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Not an English lesson, but a clarification of the original question.  Alfred your English is orders of magnitude better than my attempts at a second language, but I still think you're missing the point.  Martin doesn't want the creation date, he wants the current date.  He accidentally was using the creation date field.

As to the more academic question of what date should be the 'Creation' of a drawing, I think if you make a new drawing (dwg) from a template (dwt), that is the 'Creation' of the drawing.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

first: thx for your very kind words! animierte smilies lachen grinsen happy freuen smilen witzig froh

>> Martin doesn't want the creation date, he wants the current date

Ok, then you are right, I really understood that in the other way.

>> to the more academic question

...well, I don't use that (the "CREATEDATE" field) as I'm not sure how others are proceeding with my drawing + I don't get it to work in the way you mentioned (starting with _NEW from a template). Try the following:

a) create a new drawing (look to your watch)

b) place a text with a field CREATEDATE

c) place a text with a field SAVEDATE

d) wait 5 minutes (or draw a few lines)

e) now save the drawing ==> CREATEDATE is 5 min too late 😉

But again ... I don't use it, I don't need it. That said I see that as I don't really need an answer to that/I don't want to make anyone spending hours now in getting any other tips like "start with saving your drawing" 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report