Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Shortcuts vs LandXML vs Copy and Paste

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
rachelc11
912 Views, 6 Replies

Data Shortcuts vs LandXML vs Copy and Paste

Hi all

We're working on a project which is causing me to question our management  "system" (more like lack there-of). There are about 4 Existing Surfaces and 3 Design surfaces, and a half dozen or so drawings needed to show the various elements of this construction project. In the past we've done either copy and paste to show the same surface in different layouts or had a number of layout tabs. (Which quickly get pretty annoying if you're trying to show too much "different stuff" in each layout.

Looking at Data Shortcuts...we've never used them but the idea looks really nice. When we have to make last minute changes everything automatically "updates" right? And the drawings should load faster and crash less because they're not so huge, right? The only Major Drawback I see is this: we use one person's workstation as the server" so two of us refer to the M drive path and one refers to the C drive path. Would this just screw everything up as it does when we have xref images? (Have to relocate the file path every single time the C drive person saves the file in order to see the image) I understand using "relative path" should fix this, but I haven't had much success with it.

And LandXML export/import, what exactly is the difference between this and a Data Shortcut? Would this be a better option for our scenario? Do we need to bite the bulllet and get a real server?

Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: rachelc11

This will help with the XRef issue, and probably the shortcuts as well.

Make all the pc's look for drive M: by using the DOS SUBST command to assign the M: drive to the path on the server drive.

For instance:

SUBST M: C:\Projects 

Create a small BAT file, place that line in it, set Windows to run the bat at restart so it's always available.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 7
troma

The  LandXML export/import AFAIK is going to have essentially the same result as copy/paste.  Not dynamic.

What about mapping its own C drive as M on that one machine?  Would that solve the problem?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 7
Jay_B

Data Shortcuts are the way to go if you want to say show different styles of same surfaces wetc. in multiple drawings.

Yes the Data Shortcut working folder must look to the same drive for all 3 users. So that's a problem in your current environment.

Landxml is a general file sharing language and has nothting to do with data shortcuts.

See info here Landxml

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 7
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

You got ahead of me Jeff.  But I thought you could just use the "Map Network Drive" option.  Sounds like you know what you're talking about more than I do.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

.. I thought you could just use the "Map Network Drive" option.  

That can work, for the most part. I have had occassion where the server pc could not locate the mapped drive when it is pointing at itself. It may have just been a glitch in our network, but since cahnging to the SUBST drive I haven't had any problems.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 7
rachelc11

Thanks for the tips! I have started using data shortcuts and it has really simplied this project. Should have been using them over year ago, but we just hadn't made the leap. We're going to see if IT can fix the drive letter problem with the ideas you have suggested. Hopefully it works!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report