Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Shortcuts Operation Question.....

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
taneum
188 Views, 1 Reply

Data Shortcuts Operation Question.....

So I have been using data shortcuts for a few months now but I think incorrectly.

Everytime I start using them in a new project I set a new "Working Folder".  Should my working folder be the same in every project?  Then do I just create a new project folder each time?  This would make sense as then when I set the project folder for each project, the list of projects in my "Working Folder" would show all my different projects.

If indeed this is how it works, is there any way to move my data shortcut project folders into a neutral working folder?  Will this disrupt my data shortcuts or break them?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: taneum

My responses to your queries are below, in red.

@taneum wrote:

So I have been using data shortcuts for a few months now but I think incorrectly.

Everytime I start using them in a new project I set a new "Working Folder".  Should my working folder be the same in every project?  Then do I just create a new project folder each time?  This would make sense as then when I set the project folder for each project, the list of projects in my "Working Folder" would show all my different projects.

This is a matter of preference. Everyone out there handles and manages their data differently. Some have the working folder set on a project-to-project basis, thereby segregating projects to project folders. Others have one working folder, and simply pile all their data shortcuts into one universal folder. Others have one working folder, with subfolders correlating to various projects, as you suggest. You will have to find the data management method that works for you. There is no "wrong" way to do it, just merely a question of data management.

If indeed this is how it works, is there any way to move my data shortcut project folders into a neutral working folder?  Will this disrupt my data shortcuts or break them?

If your data shortcuts are already created and then you move them around in windows, then yes. You will have to re-map your working folder.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report