Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Shortcuts Gone, AGAIN

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
langrobbins4254
806 Views, 13 Replies

Data Shortcuts Gone, AGAIN

Once again, my surface profile data shortcuts are dissapearing. I have tried the level of detail on/off command and synchronize all references command, still gone. We have had this problem on and off ever since upgrading to 2013 in late 2012. I was reading about repairing a broken a reference but I do not have that option when I right click on a data shortcut in the prospector tab. If I redo the data short and promote it, everything is good, but that defeats the purpose of data shortcuts. What else is there to do in order to fix it?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
wfberry
in reply to: langrobbins4254

By not posting the version along with the service pack(s) you may never know.  I know you noted 2013 version but it may be just as important to note  your Service Pack(s).

Bill

Message 3 of 14
jmayo-EE

I avoid using datashortcuts with Surface Profiles. Instead I try to dref in the surface with a hidden surface style if required and resample a new profile. I don't seem to have issues with Layout Profiles just Surface Profiles.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
langrobbins4254
in reply to: jmayo-EE

We are using 2013, service pack 2 with 64 bit system.  I have in the past just promoted the surface profile shortcuts that were problematic just to have something that works. I guess this is what I will do in this case unless there is an actual fix. What is dref? It is the same for us, layout profiles are fine, heck all other data shortcuts are fine, pipes, alignments, etc... Just an existing surface that gets profiled.

Message 5 of 14
Jay_B

When you say they are dissapearing does that mean on the display or does it also mean they are absent from listing in Prospector?

Any Pipe Networks in play here?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 14
Jay_B

As for the Pipes, do you have them data referenced and also xreferenced into this drawing where the surface profiles disappear?

If so, unload or detach the xref and then the surface profiles may synch properly.

There are known synchronization conflict issues when a PN source dwg is xref'd and d'refd.

As long as PN source is unloaded or detatched the conflict usually goes away.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 14

@langrobbins4254 wrote:

What is dref?.

DRef = Data Reference = Data Shortcut.

The only time I have problems is when a project is moved to a newer version. Out paths are version specific so they change. Then I have to use the Data Shortcut Editor. That sometimes causes problems. I've found it's better to path it using the UNC rather than the mapped drive letter on the server.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 14

No pipe networks yet, they will be data shortcut into this drawing eventually. The profiles dissapear graphically, you can still see them in the propsector tab but they will not show up at all, even if I change the style/display.

Message 9 of 14
Jay_B

Check the Alignment Properties dialog (for alignment for disappearing profiles) > Station Control tab > Station information:

Does the Start: = 0, End: = 0 & Length: = 0 here?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 14
langrobbins4254
in reply to: Jay_B

Stationing is correct in the alignment properties dialog and in the profile data tab (Parent horizontal alignment) 9+75-31+25

Message 11 of 14
Jay_B

I should have mentioned that the alignment stationing info being all zero's test would only apply if the profiles have disappeared upon opening the file.

If you've already promoted (which it sounds like you have) or successfully synchronized then the values would be correct.

(You may be aware of this but with "promoting" you now have a non-dynamic relationship and any changes to the

source dwg info would need to be re-promoted following changes.)

If you see the issue again where the profiles have disappeared check the alignment properties right then and see if values are as expected.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 12 of 14
langrobbins4254
in reply to: Jay_B

No, I have not promoted them yet, that is going to be my work around until this issue is resolved I suppose. Promoting them is the last thing I want to do because it totally defeats the whole purpose of the data shortcut feature and when we get additional topo and we always do, I will have to update multiple versions of the same exact surface which is just double work and dumb. That is what I do not understand, all the data seems to be there, it just will not display?

Message 13 of 14
jmayo-EE

Data ref'ing the surface and resampling the surface profile will keep it all dynamic when you add addtional topo.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
Jeff_M

I suggest doing as John mentioned and DRef the Surface then create the surface profile in the sheet. I do this so the linetypes look correct (dref profiles using a dashed linetype in the style do not get the plinegen applied like resident profiles do).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report