Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Shortcuts 2014

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
rferdon
1257 Views, 9 Replies

Data Shortcuts 2014

I just switched from 2013 to 2014 and all of my data shortcuts working folders are not visible.  The surfaces are still there and have the reference icon next to the surface name.  The surfaces seem to be correct but all of the working folders are not there in the prospector tab under "Data Shortcuts".  When I open up all of the drawings in 2013 they are all still there.  Do I need to go into each drawing and reset all of the "Working Folders"?  Or is there some easier way?  Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
ericcollins6932
in reply to: rferdon

You probably need to set your working folder.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 10
troma
in reply to: rferdon

We use one working folder for all projects. The individual project data is in the subdirectories "Shortcut Folders". This avoids individuals having to set the working folder for every different project they work on.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: troma

You keep all the shortcuts to all your projects in one folder? You must have a strong naming convention.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 5 of 10
rferdon
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I just manully changed all of the working folders in each project.  Not sure if this is best way but it worked.

Message 6 of 10
troma

In an office network environment this seems to be best.

If I set up a project on my computer and set the working folder somewhere and set up all the data shortcuts, it will work fine on my computer.  But when a coworker opens it they will get the message "Unable to locate project...".  The referenced objects will still be present and update fine, but the list of available objects isn't there in the prospector.  They have to go and set the working folder first, then they get all the options.  Then the next coworker has to set the working folder on their machine too.  Then someone else sets up the next project, and anyone who needs to work on that one has to set their working folder for that project.  It's tiresome.  It's also dangerous, since those who aren't so familiar with the quirkes of the system have created data shortcuts from one project and put them in another, since that's just where their machine was set last.

Once your machine has been set once to a working folder, it seems to be able to switch back and forth on its own.  I mean that when you open a drawing, the computer knows where to look for the project data.  But if you've never worked in a project set up by a coworker in a new working folder you will have to manually set the working folder when you open the drawing, or you won't have any of the data shortcuts available.

So, we devised a new plan.  Rather than having a working folder for each project, we have one for all.  The subdirectories are the "Project Folders" aka "Shortcuts Folders".  Working folder > set it and forget it.  Project Folder > Create a new one for each project.  So far as I can work out, this is how it's meant to be.  Anyone can open a drawing and see all the data shortcuts available.  Their machine knows where the working folder is and the drawing knows which project to pull out of there.  You don't see data from other projects show up in the prospector, if that's what you were thinking.

We've made a new Working Folder for a new release of C3D.  But all projects in one program are in one working folder.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

We have our working folders on the network, but they're project specific. We have a template folder structure that includes the _Shortcuts folder. Each time a new project is created, the folders are copied/pasted and then given the project name.  We use the right-click feature to associate the drawing to the project so that the next time it's opened, the working folder automagically changes, similar to what LDD used to do.  There's also a feature to associate multiple drawings to a project, by folder location.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 8 of 10
troma

What's the right-click feature?
What is it that LDD used to do?

Mark Green

Message 9 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

LDD had a similar feature to use "project data", but more of just pointing to folder locations to consume the data.  For Civil 3D to associate project to drawing or associate project to multiple drawings, use the right-click menu for Data Shortcuts, the same one you use to Create the data shortcuts.

8-12-2013 2-12-02 PM.png

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 10 of 10
troma

When you use that 'Associate Project' option it places the project name in brackets [Like This] on the top of the drawing, correct? But it also does the same thing if you just bring a d-ref into a drawing; it seems to automatically associate the drawing to the project. At least that's the impression I get since it places the project name in the same fashion.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report