Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data shortcut surface not inserted at correct location

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
3dcat
2204 Views, 10 Replies

data shortcut surface not inserted at correct location

I had a drawing (Drawing #1) that I created a copy of (I'll call the copy Drawing #2).  In Drawing #2 I created a finished grade surface ("FG") which consists of feature lines drawn within the property lines of the site. 

I then created a data shortcut of the FG surface and promoted it into Drawing #1.  The surface is offset and rotated from the site - I would expect it to line up exactly within the property lines.

I have done other surfaces this way and haven't had this problem.  Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
wfberry
in reply to: 3dcat

Make sure your UCS is set to World.

Bill

Message 3 of 11
3dcat

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I checked and the UCS coordinates are set to world.

I have some more information on what is happening...

The coordinates of SW property line corner are 8715.89, 9376.34 in both Drawing #1 and Drawing #2. When I promote the data shortcut surface into Drawing #1, the surface SW property line corner is located at -9376.34, 8715.89 (the X = - original Y and the Y = original X).

I am able to work around the problem by moving the surface and rotating it, but it would be nice to have it come in at the correct location.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 4 of 11
wfberry

Perhaps one of the files has the Base command set different.  Base should = 0 (zero) in both drawings.  

OR you could have US Survey Foot and International Foot (Your large difference in location makes it seem unlikely.)

Just guessing here.

Bill

Message 5 of 11
3dcat
in reply to: wfberry

Hi Bill,

I checked the base and it is zero in both drawings.

Thanks for your suggestions...  this is really a strange problem. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 11
ericcollins6932

The north definition is messed up if coordinates come in 90° apart. But for the life of me, I don't know what would cause that behaviour.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 7 of 11

did the drawing get rotated, instead of the dview?

-Sean
------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a CAD Manager for a Civil Engineering firm...
Message 8 of 11
bquaintanceJNZ8L

Check your "DVIEW" and make sure that your "DVIEWBLOCK" is twisted to the angle you intend. Typically 0degs.

Message 9 of 11
3dcat
in reply to: bquaintanceJNZ8L

Hi bquaintanceJNZ8L,

Thanks for your reply.  I originally posted this question 4 years ago... I believe I eventually figured out what the problem was, but unfortunately I can't remember what it was.  But thanks for taking the time to post a reply.

Message 10 of 11
mlewisWXP6X

To bring closure to this post as someone who struggled with this:

The solution for me was checking that EVERY x-reffed drawing has its BASE set to 0,0,0. 

Solution:

Open every drawing referenced by the current drawing and follow the commands below for every drawing.

Type "BASE" 

Type 0,0,0

Message 11 of 11
lynn_zhang
in reply to: mlewisWXP6X

Hi @mlewisWXP6X , thank you so much for sharing your solution!

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report