Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Shortcut Profile Problems......

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
taneum
2037 Views, 6 Replies

Data Shortcut Profile Problems......

We are working with another firm here in town.  They are doing the road design and we are doing the utility design.  They sent me a new .xml file of their road alignment and design profile.  I have their alignments and profiles in a separate drawing from my design file.  I then data reference in their alignment and profile into my drawing.

They sent me an updated .xml file and when I load it into that separate drawing the alignment comes in.  I can see it on the screen and in the prospector.  The design profile is also in the prospector.  I do not have a profile view though with the profile in it.  I data reference the alignment into my utility design file and it comes through but the design profile does not.  Why is that?  I have like 20 alignments and profiles that work but for this one street the profile will not follow though.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: taneum

Is the missing street profile listed in prospector in if you drill down under

Alignments>Centerline Alignments>Profiles as a dref in the dwg ?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 7
taneum
in reply to: Jay_B

It the separate drawing with all of their alignments and profiles, yes it is in there.  When I go to my drawing, the alignment shows up at the bottom of the prospector so it is data referenced.  Also, in the main part of the prospector it shows up and it has the little data shortcut arrow in the icon and the alignment is in there but the prfile does not show up.  So the alignment is referencing but the design profile in that separate drawing is not following through to my drawing.  I even delted it from that separate drawing and started over but it won't come through.    So why won't the profile come though?

Message 4 of 7
Jay_B
in reply to: taneum

What happens if you create a brand new dwg, dref the problem Alignment and Profile into this new file and create a profile view?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 7
taneum

Jay, that was my first test.  I created a brand new empty drawing and associated my data shortcut project folder with that drawing.  Then I went to the data shortcut and created the reference.  Same result.  The alignment show up both graphically and in the prospector.  However, the profile is not in the prosector.

I thought maybe I could ask for a new .xml file of all their alignments and profiles but it isn't like the .xml data isn't coming in.  It is in my separate drawing file.  I even created a profile view in there and the profile shows up so it is in my main drawing.

Message 6 of 7
taneum

I am using Civil 3D 2015 now.  Been using it about 2 weeks now.  These drawing were all created wiht 2013 and stuff worked in 2014.  However, when I go to an older machine in my office with 2014 on it, the same issue are there so I have kind of discounted that thought too.

Message 7 of 7
taneum

Okay so I started a brand new drawing and saved it as test.dwg.  I inserted the .xml file with all the different alignments and profiles and saved it.  I created a new data shortcut project folder and associated it with my drawing.  I then created another new drawing called test1.dwg.  I associated that drawing to the same data shortcut folder I just created.  All works well.

I think I may know what the problem is.  Back when I first started using data shortcuts I set the "working folder" to a folder under my specific job and then I created a project folder in that location.  I set up all my data shortcuts and all was well.  I didn't realize that the "working folder" was supposed to be in a central location where all my different "project folders" would reside in.  Well, when I started a completely different job I reset my "working folder" to that jobs folder in explorer.  I didn't realize how the "working folder" and "project folder" worked.  Once I figured that out I created a new "working folder" on our server and we now have all the "projects" in there.  Well, I am guessing there are some pathing issues.  So, I am going to re-create my entire drawing with my current folder setup and I think that will fix it all.

I figured this out I think because when it wasn't working, the profile names were grayed out when I would create my references.  When I got it to work as described above, the profile names are not grayed out and I can check or un-check them.

We will see if my thoughts here ring true.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report