Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data shortcut broken

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
peter_thomson
208 Views, 3 Replies

data shortcut broken

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with a data shortcut that someone may be able to help me with.

I have a series of surface data shortcuts which enabled me to build up a final design surface on a golf course subdivision.

Lets call the surface Area B created in the drawing called Area B. I have a drawing called X_bulk earthworks (an xref drawing) which has a data shortcut to Area B (amongst other surface Data shortcuts). All has been going very well until Ii edited the Area B drawing and the Area B surface.
Each time I open the X_bulk earthworks drawing, the data shortcut to Area B breaks. I have re-built the data shortcut (DS) twice now, by deleting the DS from the drawing, deleting the DS xml file and re-creating it from the Area B drawing. Still, each time I enter the X_bulk earthworks drawing, the DS is again broken. the X_bulk earthworks drawing contains all my site cross sections for the bulk earthworks contract.

Is there an easier way to repair the broken DS other than re-creating it each at instance?

I presume that the action of edting the Area B surface should not require me to re-create the data shortcut. I Ihaven't had to for other surfaces.

Any assistance will be very much appreciated.

C3D2007 SP3
All drawings audit with no errors.

cheers, Peter.

Message was edited by: Peter Thomson Message was edited by: Peter Thomson
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: peter_thomson

Peter,
Based upon the assumption you are NOT using Vault. (It was not mentioned.)
When you edited the Area B drawing and/or the Area B surface did you change the names of either object? Did you delete Area B surface and create a new Area B surface?

Check out my little article on "Understanding the XML of Data Shortcuts" at http://hyaline-eng.com/articles

Joshua Modglin
Message 3 of 4

Hi, thanks for your response.
i did not mention vault because I am using data shortcuts, not a project...but you are correct, i am not using Vault. I am running Advanced Road design and the folder protection provided in vault does not sit well with the data sub-folder for ARD.

I did not change the name of the surface, however, there was a couple of times that the surface drawing required audit...it did crash a few times.

Since completing changes to the Area B surface, AND repairing the data shortcut, everytime I open the X_bulk earthworks drawing now, the DS for Area B is always broken.

Thaks for the link, I will try to understand it.
cheers, peter.
Message 4 of 4

I also saw another response that says to make the surfaces static in the section sample line group...seems that is not helping either.

So I have to re-import the data shortcut in my xref each time I open it before I can see the final surface in my sections....so I have to do this each time I want to load and plot the actual sections drawings that reference this xref file.

Has this been fixed in 2008?

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report