Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data referencing parcels and creating parcels from an x-ref

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
paulgalli5397
1134 Views, 13 Replies

Data referencing parcels and creating parcels from an x-ref

Is there a way to data reference parcels from one drawing to another?  Can't seem to find it.

Also, does anyone know how to create parcels from an xref?  I found an old post by Sinc (from 2008) that mentioned doing it, but he didn't give any details on how.  I've been trying to figure it out, but can't seem to get it to go.  Maybe they changed the program?

Thanks for your help,

Paul

C3D - 2014, Sincpac Addon
Land Surveyor
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Jeff_M
in reply to: paulgalli5397

Parcels cannot be DateReferenced.

Parcels can be labeled through an Xref.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 14
doni49

I don't believe there is.  But if you tell us what you're trying to accomplish, maybe there's another way to get you there.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 14
paulgalli5397
in reply to: Jeff_M

We would like to have a base linework drawing for (as an example) a subdivision.  We then xref it into our "C3d" drawing where we label it and create the actual subdivision drawing.  I can figure out how to label lines individually, but can't seem to get it to label them globally, like I can when I create parcels from linework in the drawing and have it auto label everything with bearings and distances (as well as lot numbers and areas).  How can I do this through an xref?  Creating parcels doesn't seem to work.

Land Surveyor
Message 5 of 14
Jeff_M

Sounds like you want to create parcels from the base linework in the Xref. Use the SIncpacC3D command "Extract2d" to copy all of the Xref linework needed for the parcels (can specify just the selected layer(s)) into the new drawing, then convert that linework to parcels.

EESignature
Message 6 of 14

Yep - that's about it.  I would like to have a drawing of just base linework and then xref that into other drawings, and label and parcelize it.

So, as far as you know, there is no "real" autocad/c3d way to do this, and I also have to have multiple sets of linework and/or parcels (assuming I have other drawings using the same base linework)?  I have Sincpac, so I can do that, but I'd really like to get away from multiple lines, especially since subdivisions change so often during the process, which would require rextracting the xref lines and recreating my parcels and all labels everytime something changes - assuming I'm understanding this correctly. 

Maybe then I'll keep it all in one drawing for now, until they improve the workflow.  That has its issues too of course.  Was really hoping they'd fixed this by now.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

Land Surveyor
Message 7 of 14
jmayo-EE

C3D does have a way. The base file is parcels only and you label them as you need in the sheets. This prevents all of the other work you need to do just to keep AutoCAD lines/curves in the base file.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 14

Then the labels are in the xreffed base drawing (if I understand what you are saying). 

The point of the excercise was to get a base file with no labels in it that could be used in the different maps required for a project (subdivision, legal descriptions, topo, etc.).  Most of these drawings will be at different scales, with the labels to be in different positions (which as far as I know is impossible in C3d - the different positions utilizing one label that is).

We could always have multiple text layers in the base drawing, but then it becomes less of a base drawing, and more of a work drawing.

Thanks for your comments,

Paul

Land Surveyor
Message 9 of 14
jmayo-EE

You don't have to label the parcel segments in the base and you can make a very small or non plotting area label for the parcel objects that won't be in the way of design work or printing.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Jeff_M

Paul, 

I have a base file just as you've described wanting to do. To generate my original Parcels, I use the Extract2d method explained earlier. I then label that drawing as needed for my maps, or may even use it as an xref for the maps, depending on the size of the project. When (not if, but when) things change, I edit the base file. Then, depending on the severity of the changes, I will either edit the Parcel lines in the parcel drawing by grip edit to match the still Xref'ed (but normally unloaded...loaded back up for this) new lots lines. The helps to keep existing labels intact. If editing parcels with arcs, this may delete/recreate the affected parcel(s) but they are easily renumbered. OR, I will remove the parcel linework altogether in the affected area and use the Extract2d again, but in a limited scope rather than the whole enchilada. 

So to summarize, I have a Base map dwg, a Parcels dwg, a utility dwg, a grading dwg, the plat map dwg, etc. The Basemap gets xref'ed into all but the Plat Map. The Parcels get Xref'ed into all of them so I can annotate at least the Parcel #'s (Parcels dwg the ParcelArea Labels are small and on a no_plot layer. This way I can add the labels in the xrefs and they can be moved/scaled independently. I hope that all makes sense...changes are still a PITA, but far easier to work with than 'the old ways of doing things'. Perhaps others have a different approach, but this has worked well for us.

EESignature
Message 11 of 14
paulgalli5397
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff.  That workflow makes sense.  Seems like a lot to go through to create a drawing.  Do you see any issues with keeping it all in one drawing (especially smaller drawings)?

Land Surveyor
Message 12 of 14
Jeff_M

I like to keep my base drawing with pure Acad objects. This makes it easy to share with client, architect, other subs. For smaller projects I do keep all of the C3D objects in a "design" file which may, or may not, have layouts for the plot sheets. While it does seems like a lot of drawings, I've found that this approach works real good when one of theose drawings gets corrupted vs the one drawing approach and having it get corrupted.

EESignature
Message 13 of 14
civman_daar

Would creating an XML file of the parcels work for this purpose?  You could then recreate the parcels in any drawing you like, and globally label them.

Message 14 of 14

Thanks Jeff.  That seems like a reasonable workflow, since we are unable to data reference Parcels. 

I suppose I could .xml out the parcels and bring them into other drawings, which accomplishes the same thing as sucking the lines into the current drawing through the xref.  Definitely a way to do it if one doesn't have Sincpac.

I was really hoping for a more elegant solution, instead of having to recreate my linework or parcels in every drawing, but that doesn't appear to exist in C3D.  To me, having multiple sets of linework is just asking for trouble, especially when several different people are involved in a project (like we do here).  I suppose I could have one linework drawing, and then one parcels drawing that includes all my labels, that gets xreffed into my final drawings.  That way, once the parcels drawing is updated, the changes will be automatically reflected in each of the drawings, and we wouldn't have to worry about dissapearing labels in those drawings.  Will have to test to see how it works.

Thanks for everyone's help.  I appreciate it. 

Land Surveyor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report