Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data References

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Nik-D
259 Views, 4 Replies

Data References

Hi all

In our office the road corridor and pipe/utility networks are designed in Civil 3D. We then have a team of CAD operators for plan production. The CAD team use AutoCAD vanilla. At present we export our 3D design to AutoCAD and the CAD team produce the drawings. What we want to do is move to a more dynamic system whereby if the 3D model has to be updated then we do not have to re-export our drawings.

If we install the C3D object enablers on the AutoCAD vanilla machines can we use Data Shortcuts so that the plan production drawings update dynamically and any updates can be synchronised by the AutoCAD vanilla team?

If not what is the best workaround solution for this. Someone mentioned using Vault but I have no experience of this.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: Nik-D

The object enabler would allow an ACad user to have some control over objects in a Civil3d drawing, but it won't allow vanilla ACad to load or synchronize Civil3d data from another drawing.  Your drafters need to be upgraded to Civil3d.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
Nik-D
in reply to: sboon

Would Vault allow multiple users to work on the same file simultaneously? It has been sugested to me that this is possible but I would like to find out for sure

Message 4 of 5
BrianHailey

No. Vault will not allow multiple users to edit the same file. In fact, it does just the opposite. It prevents people from working on separate copies of the same file thus preventing one person from overwriting the changes of another person unintentionally.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 5
emelendez

You could create several work arounds but as previously stated, it would be best if your drafters were also on Civil 3D. You could use the following work around. Have your civil 3D designers data shortcut your design data into a "clean" file that has no labels in it and they manage that file. Then have your drafters xref that file into the file where they add the annotation and manage the layers. This would create one extra file for the designers to manage but it would allow multiple drafters to annotate the information, provided the xref is in multiple sheets and they are working on separate areas.

Hope that helps.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report