Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data reference issue - message says...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2965 Views, 8 Replies

data reference issue - message says...

layer name cannot be empty? - what do i need to check so i can create data reference?

thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

can you be a little more descriptive with your question.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

iI was trying to create a data reference for one of my design surfaces but the error message says "...layer name cannot be empty.." - what does it mean? The same message also appears when I was trying to create a volume surface, any idea what's causing it? Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
Jeff_M

Verify that the Object Layers under Drawing Settings have layers set for all objects.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 9
ScotBIM
in reply to: Jeff_M

Giving this a "bump", as I now have this issue on some surfaces (though not all) being referenced.

BTW - The Object Layers under Drawing Settings are okay.

Message 6 of 9
jnelson1071
in reply to: ScotBIM

I just want to chime in on this also.  My source and target drawing settings object layers are fine also and I get this same error when trying to reference in a data shortcut.  It would be easier if the error included the style or what ever is causing the problem.  I've gone through about half of the styles in the source file and the current file and haven't run across anything unusual.

Message 7 of 9
Jason.Ferrelli

I had a case with this same issue today. It seems that the XML file for one of his data shortcuts became corrupt. All his other shortcuts worked just fine, so with that said we had him reomve the issue shortcut and then go into the source drawing and re-add it. That seemed to resolve the issue.

Jason Ferrelli
Message 8 of 9
adickerson

Recreating the data reference fixed this issue for me.  

Message 9 of 9
Gary749

You just need to select a Surface layer when the Source Surface window pops up, it can't be blank.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report