Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data-linking Profiles, does it work? What is its purpose?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rosedog
288 Views, 3 Replies

Data-linking Profiles, does it work? What is its purpose?

1. I did a search and found nothing.

2. I'm not a new user here to the DG but I'm I hardly used it over the past 10+yrs so it was easier to sign up again.

With all that said here is my question(s)...

After many years of LDD we've made the switch to C3D 2013.  After a few months of struggle and difficulties we're making some traction and moving along.  However there is somthing that is bothering me great deal and it is in regards to data-linking profiles.

In our C3D folder we create 3 additional folders

*Surfaces

*Alignments

*Pipe Networks

This mirrors the Data Shortcuts in the Propector.  Surface dwgs are in the Surfaces folder; Alignments and Profiles are in the Alignments folder; and Pipes in the Pipe Networks folder.

Once my Alignments and Profiles are created I make them available for Data-Referencing (Yes, my data shortcut is set correctly).  Then I move over to my Pipes drawing and make sure that I've created reference for my surfaces, alignments and profiles (yes they're on the correct styles).  Everything comes over fine EXCEPT for my profiles and its making me somewhat nuts in the process.

Under the Data Shortcuts > Alignments > Centerline Alignments > "ROAD-A" > Profiles (Resides both my) > ROAD-A-EGND and ROAD-A-FGND.  I right-click and both of those (individually) and select "Create Reference".

Nothing shows up/draws on my screen but they do now appear under my Active Drawing View > Alignments > Centerline Alignments >  ROAD-A > Profiles.

I can see their properties but that is it.

When I create my pipe runs in plan view, I want to add them to my profile view within the same pipe drawing also.

Unfortunately we have to re-create the EG/FG profile view(s) within the pipe drawing if we want to have the pipes show up in plan view.

Is there an easier way to do this without recreating the wheel?

What is the purpose of being able to data-reference/link a profile if it does not come over?

Steven-

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rosedog

I will assume (because I made the same mistake) you created an alignment drawing in your alignment folder> DS then created a profile drawing in your profile folder by DS the alignment in, created your layout profs  and DS?

Always create your layout profile in the same drawing as the horizontal alignment. The profile folder and others created by civil3d is meant for the xml files created by DS. The intention was not to have you believe alignments here and profiles there

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
rosedog
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks for the reply.

My horizontal alignments and profiles are created within the same drawing.  I name that drawing Alpro.dwg.  Once created I make that availble to data reference/shortcut/linking.

I then open my Pipes.dwg and data reference/shortcut/linking in my alignments and profiles.

What I cannot get to display through data reference/shortcut/linking is the profiles created in my alpro.dwg.

I need the profiles so I can display my pipe-runs in the profile view.

Currently I have to recreate my profile views in my pipes.dwg so I can display my vertical pipe-runs within my pipes.dwg.  This I no longer wish to do.

Am I crazy in thinking that there is an easier way to achieve this?

Message 4 of 4
Jeff_M
in reply to: rosedog

As you can see in the Prospector, the Profiles are being DRef'ed. Yes, you must create a ProfileView in that drawing in order to display the Profiles. This way you can place the PV wherever you like. Once you add a ProfileView, the profiles should automagically appear in that PV.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report