Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting Volumes along a set line

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Jestoner
354 Views, 6 Replies

Cutting Volumes along a set line

I apologize if this has been posted but i wasn't sure how to search for it and my searches came up a bit empty handed.

I am attempting to take two surfaces and cut straight down through a set polyline and get the difference between two surfaces.  Do i want to use the bounded volumes to do this? Or can i simply create two surfaces and and use the analyze/volumes tool and just select the two.  I would then add the boundary to each surface to limit the data.\

My concern is since the two surfaces do not meet along the edges which will cause the math to be off.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
troma
in reply to: Jestoner

I've never used the 'Bounded Volumes' tool, but I guess it will probably work.

Otherwise, just make a new surface, paste one of your surfaces into it, and add the polyline as a boundary. Then you can use the regular volume analysis or a TIN volume surface. Either way will work. So long as one surface is totally within the bounds of the other, I've never had problems.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 7
Jestoner
in reply to: troma

Thank you so much, that's what I tried first I just wanted to verify my solution was correct.  I tend to second guess myself a lot as i am still fairly new to Civil 3d tools.

Message 4 of 7
ccoles

I use 'bounded volumes' all the time, and have checked to make sure the bounded volumes still add up to the full surface volume. The checks always come out right. It makes separating volume areas within your design a quick, easy task.

In the Volumes Dashboard in C3D 2013, They have taken bounded volumes to a whole new level, and I like the way it does the volume reports and separates the bounded volumes within the tool and on the reports. If you are running 2013, you should check it out.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 7
neilyj666

Jestoner wrote:the data.\

My concern is since the two surfaces do not meet along the edges which will cause the math to be off.

The calcs will be correct as it is just a cookie cutter type calculation (i.e. vertical) but practically you might miss some volumes (in the slopes) at the edges which could be a problem

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 7
Jestoner
in reply to: neilyj666

That should have been the question i asked, whether or not it sliced straight down, thanks!

Message 7 of 7
ccoles

Yes, it cuts up and down, like a wall at the polyline.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report