Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut/Fill volume using surfaces

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
927 Views, 9 Replies

Cut/Fill volume using surfaces

Hello, I need to calculate the cut/fill volume of a particular site using an existing surface with a proposed surface.

I have created the existing surface with no problems. Within the existing surface I have created several feature lines to represent a proposed highway.

The issue I am having is with the proposed surface. Having created a new surface tiltled 'proposed surface', I have attempted to add the feature lines into the new 'proposed' surface but when I right-click to add to surface as breakline nothing happens - the feature lines are not added into the proposed surface.

Am I missing a step? Can someone please provide some advice on this?

Once I have the propsoed surface with the feature lines added I'm confident I can work out the volume of cut/fill by using a volume surface comparison.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you have the surface style set to something that is visible e.g. triangles?

Can you post the Dwg?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for your reply. DWG file attached as requested.

I'm not sure if it is anything to do with surface style but any help here would be appreciated.

Message 4 of 10
neilyj666

I just selected all the FL's and added to surface as breakline - but must change the supplementing factors distance and mid ordinate distance as you have very few IP's on the FL to define the surface adequately. You may need to experiment with the values (metric vs imperial)

2014-10-13 20_37_34-Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 - [13284-150(P1) 3D Model.dwg].jpg

The resultant surface looks fine to me.....

2014-10-13 20_35_54-Program Manager.jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
callen

If you would implement a profile/corridor model, creating a datum surface is a 2 second process which then lets you accurately determine cut and fill volumes using the analyze tab.  Your proposed surface will not accurately determine you volumes as you are not accounting for topsoil, pavement thickness, or subgrade thickness.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks for that. The image looks spot on. Unfortunately when I try to do it in Civil 3D 2014, nothing happens. What steps did you follow exactly?

I'll try to create a corrdor and see what happens there.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I've tried creating a basic corridor surface but when I try to create a volume surface to compare the existing surface with the corrdifor surface I get this error message:

No overlap.jpg

Am I missing something in the settings perhaps? Would it be possible for you, neilyj, to post the DWG file where you successfully created a surface using the feature lines of the proposed highway?

Message 8 of 10
neilyj666

I noticed that all the Layers are locked - they need to be unlocked or you cannot create the surface

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
neilyj666

Can't post the dwg as the forum won't let me.....?????

2014-10-16 13_00_00-Reply to Message - Autodesk Community.jpg

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

No problem, I have managed to convert the feature lines into a separate surface and have successfully created a volume surface.

Thanks for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report